VOGONS

First post, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I've visited here for years, but hardly ever posted, so forgive me (and please feel free to move!) this if I've put it in the wrong place... I couldn't quite figure out where it would best go!

Anyway, I've been using DosBox to make custom installs of certain Windows 3.11 games (such as Director's Chair, Johnny Mnemonic and other early "Interactive Movies" that won't run on XP or in DOS). Since Windows 3.11 itself only takes about 20mb, and I'm using CD images of 600mb+ (usually in 2's and 3's), I'm not too worried about the extra size of having a seperate Win3.11 install for each game.

However, every little bit helps... since I've removed all Program Groups in each Windows copy to just allow access to the game and to quit, I was wondering what I could actually safely DELETE from Win3.11 that wasn't needed by the O/S to run. Obviously, randomly deleting DLLs and such would be a bad move, but I was wondering if there are things in there I wouldn't need if the O/S was JUST used to play a single game.

Does anyone know Win3.11 enough to give me some pointers on anything I can get rid of to reduce the space it takes up (I already made sure to install NO optional components during install), such as write.exe, player.exe, regedit.exe, etc.?

Or is it really a case of just trial and error?

Cheers,
Banjo

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also try EXE packers

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen a Windows 3.11 installation that runs off a floppy disk. You might be able to find something similar.

Unfortunately, whoever managed to make it that small probably removed all sorts of multimedia components that you would need to run some of the fancier Windows 3.11 games.

The HX DOS Extender also comes to mind.