VOGONS

First post, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game Waterworld The Quest For Dry Land isn't listed on the compatibility list.

My question is : has anyone tried this game on DOSBox (CD version)? So far, I've only tested the RIP version (without movies) with standard 0.70, 0.71 and 0.72. After properly setting up the standard DOSBox sound settings, when I run the EXE file (don't remember the name,it's either ww.exe or water.exe) it shows a game screen saying "please wait while loading" and it just stays there. I believe I've tried mounting the game directory as a CD and changing core types, and also core/cycles=auto, but no go.

Since I'm considering buying the original game HERE, would anyone that has the game please confirm if the original game actually runs on any version of DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Has some problems with the mouse, think it's not playable yet.

Maybe mount some directory with -t cdrom to fake a cd.

Reply 2 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks very much for the prompt reply, wd! 😎

I do believe I've mounted a CD drive with " -t cdrom -ioctl " but the outcome was the same. Still I'll try it again today and report back.
By the way, did you try it with the RIP version or the CD / ISO?

Does anyone else that has the game can share their knowledge/experience? Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Full version, supposedly the mouse behaves the same in some rip.

Reply 4 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Much obliged, wd!

Since I'm trying to make up my mind on purchasing the game, I wanted to try the RIP first, just to see if it still has that fun factor that the nice DOS games had. Back then, I remember playing the RIP game on a friend's PC, since my 486 DX4 with 512Kb of video memory (Cirrus Logic) wasn't very fast 😜

Funny thing is that today, I find myself literally chasing any games that have CD versions of games that still have that feeling like in the old days of DOS. After all, the Internet came very late to my country, and game distribution wasn't very good, so most of the games I could find where either floppy versions or RIPS.

I guess that explains my feeling of gratitude towards DOSBox and its developers/contributors... It's a chance to go back in time and relive those beautiful moments, but with a chocolate covering on top! Damn, I'm hungry... 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an original and it works in DOSBox but as wd said it has some little problems with the mouse, to be precise the mouse moves slower up and down then left and right.

This is a minor problem but could get anoying if you're going command and conquer style splitting up into smaller groups and attacking your enemies from both sides.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 6 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the confirmation, ErikGG! 😀

I've tried changing cores/cycles, mounting the game dir ( C:\ww ) as a cd ( mount d c:\ww -t cdrom -ioctl ), but no go, still stays in the game screen "Please wait...".

This water.exe file is funny, it has DOS4GW embedded in it, so I've tried running DOS32A (renamed to DOS4GW) with water.exe ( dos4gw water ), and it still provides the same result.

Must be a rip version issue, and since I can't find any other version on the web (quite rare indeed), I'll probably wait for further compatibility improvements for this game, as I'm still not sure if the game is as fun as it was back then.

OT : had a similar problem with NBA JAM TE, but since I knew the game ROCKS, had no problem buying the CD right away 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got Waterworld and was just playing it tonight... it seems to run just fine on the latest DosBox (I even copied all the CD files to a "WATERWLD\CDFILES" directory and I don't need the CD to play).

Aside from that, I don't think I did anything special to get it running, but if anyone is still having trouble, let me know and I'll tell you my settings/config.

Surprisingly quite a fun game so far! 😀

Cheers,
Banjo