VOGONS

Getting the original Police Quest to run

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a laptop with Windows XP on it and I have installed DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe.

😈 I have tried to play Sierra's original Police Quest (not the VGA version), and am having problems with the graphics. The game boots ok, has sound and the game speed is alright, but when it comes to the " dialogue boxs " i.e. the character speaks, the writing is all blurred. Can anyone help ????

When I type a command it, the writing is perfectly ok, i.e. open door, get in car etc etc, but just the " dialogue boxes" are blurred.

Do I need to install an earlier version of Dos Box i.e Version 0.65 ???

I have limited knowledge of computers, so if anyone types instructions for me, please make them as detailed as possible... 😁

Many thanks.
Amy.

Reply 2 of 31, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
forgive me, I need very detailed instructions !!!!!!!!!! I opened the game and pressed the PRT Screen button, at the appropriate moment.... and then exited to Windows Explorer and found the Program Files in C directory, with the DosBox Filw and pressed Ctrl F5 and then opened the capture file. But nothing was there.

What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers.
Amy.

Reply 3 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You don't press PtrScr. You run DOSBox, your press CTRL-F5 and DOSBox will save a screen shoot in the capture folder.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 31, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, don't press Print Screen, that's a Windows function (copy screen to clipboard), press Ctrl-F5 instead. This activates DOSBox' own screenshot function (which saves a PNG to the capture folder).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stardust wrote:

When I type a command it, the writing is perfectly ok, i.e. open door, get in car etc etc, but just the " dialogue boxes" are blurred.

What video driver is the game using? If you run install I mean. Is it using the 16 color vga one? It sounds almost like it's hercules or something else.

Reply 6 of 31, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original PQ doesn't have an install program to select the video driver. There was a known problem with stuff like this occurring on MCGA cards, though I've never seen it happen in DOSBox.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 9 of 31, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm still having trouble. I launched DosBox and pressed Ctrl F5. But there was no screenshot in the Capture folder.

I then launched the Police Quest game and tried pressing Ctrl F5 ???

Is this correct ?

How do I actually get a screenshot of the Police Quest game ?

Cheers.
amy.

Reply 10 of 31, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I got so irritated with DosBox and the whole screenshot thing, I just took some photos of my own with my camera phone....

So here they are, I've added them as attachments....

cheers.
amy.

Attachments

• Photo0051.jpg
    Filename
    Photo0051.jpg
    File size
    24.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Photo0053.jpg
    Filename
    Photo0053.jpg
    File size
    28.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Photo0055.jpg
    Filename
    Photo0055.jpg
    File size
    30.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Photo0057.jpg
    Filename
    Photo0057.jpg
    File size
    23.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems unlikely it's a DOSBox issue, since all the AGI games I've tried work OK. Perhaps some part of the game (regarding fonts) is corrupt.

Paul David Doherty made a utility program which identifies most versions of the AGI interpreter software and game data:

http://pdd.if-legends.org/sierra/aginfo.zip

Unzip it into the game directory and run it. AGInfo should show the interpreter and data version numbers and whether they are "known" (i.e. in its database). What it has to say may indicate if your files are corrupt.

Reply 13 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a very common problem with AGI games played on modern graphics cards. That utility will only look for the file "AGI" and not any of the data files. The AGI version will not make any difference. This does not happen with DOSBox. He must be playing with the NTVDM, not DOSBox. ScummVM will solve his issue.

Reply 14 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm, my first reaction is not to assume someone is so lost that they're using the WinXP command shell thinking that it's DOSBox... 😵

AGInfo reports BOTH the interpreter (AGI file) version number, and the data file version number... I think it uses the first VOL file to identify the data. AGInfo is still useful to identify the game data version even if you don't have the interpreter files (which aren't needed with ScummVM).

Reply 15 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved to the DOS forum since user is not using DOSBox!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 31, by FranMichaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

Okay for you to run police quest 1 in DOSbox, go the folder of the game, and right click START.EXE and choose Open With DOSBox (this works under Linux, auto mounts etc, should work in Windows I guess?)
If all goes well you'll be all set.

Other option, try scummvm.
http://www.scummvm.org/

Just launch it, then click Add game, choose the folder with Police Quest 1, and you are good to go.

Screenshot below, running pq1 in each app (just for demonstration purposes 😉)

dosboxmitscummly6.th.png

Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.

Reply 19 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FranMichaels wrote:

Okay for you to run police quest 1 in DOSbox, go the folder of the game, and right click START.EXE and choose Open With DOSBox (this works under Linux, auto mounts etc, should work in Windows I guess?)

This does not work in Windows with out installing the "DOSBlaster" frontend or adding a registry entry. What does work in Windows without any changes to the OS is simple Drag and Drop.

@ Stardust - If you just double click on the executable, SIERRA.COM, it will not use DOSBox. it will use the NTVDM and garble the text. Just put a shortcut to dosbox.exe on your desktop and drag and drop SIERRA.COM onto that shortcut. That will automatically mount the game's folder as your "C:" drive and start the game. Otherwise use ScummVM