VOGONS

The 7th Guest

Topic actions

First post, by Steelangel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have researched this in the forum, and found a string that sort of answered the question, and am posting this one to gather some more information...

Ok... the problem i have is when i attempt to install the 7th guest, i recieve the "CD#2 isnt in the drive" error. I followed the instructions (admittadly, probably wrong) given by Ripsaw8080 as follows:

You can get around the problem by "manually" installing. Copy all the files in the \T7G\INSTALL folder on disc 2 into an install […]
Show full quote

You can get around the problem by "manually" installing. Copy all the files in the \T7G\INSTALL folder on disc 2 into an installation folder on your mounted C drive. Then create a file in your installation folder called GROOVIE.INI with the following contents:

Code:
;
;ini File for The Seventh Guest
;
;(C) Copyright 1992 Trilobyte, Inc. and Virgin Games
;
[main]
VideoCard=VESA
midi=SoundBlasterPro2
pcm=SoundBlasterPro2
svga=on
ProgDir=C:\id\t7g\
DataDir=D:\t7g\
Recommended=SVGA
CPU=486dx
FreeMem=637
CDbench=18636

[SoundBlasterPro2]
irq=7
port=220
xmi=sbp2fm.adv
pcm=sbpdig.adv
dma=1

Change the ProgDir and DataDir paths to reflect your setup. Now when you run the INSTALL.EXE in the installation folder, it should only reconfigure the settings rather than do a full file-copy install because the config file is there. The config data I've posted here is from the original install, so definitely re-confgure for the settings you want to use with the newer installer; but using this as a starting point should get you going.

Ok, tried that, and when i run the install from the mounted C: drive, it states "type t7g to play". when I do, i recieve the error "Cannot load sound driver"

soooo... here is how i mount everything (i admit, i am not the greatest at this and if anyone could help me out with this it would be appreciated)

Z:\mount c C:\dosgames
Z:\mount d E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

and this is probably where i screwed up:

created a folder in dosgames called "install"
copied contents of said folder there.
made file groovie.ini with notepad (cutnpasted above text, edited progdir and datadir to "C:\INSTALL\install" (minus quotes, and this is where im unsure)

Other than that... im completely lost... i have the origional cds, and cant get them to install using the afforementioned mounting specs...

any help? or am i just out of my tree?

Thanks in advance...

Reply 1 of 2, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What dosbox version are you using, and on what OS?
What does "mount -cd" display?

Reply 2 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You would only need to change DataDir to reflect the drive letter of the CD you've mounted in DOSBox; and since you're using the D drive, you could probably leave it unchanged from my example.

You will need to change ProgDir to point to where you've installed the files within DOSBox. Note that the install program creates the paths with a trailing backslash, so you should do likewise (e.g. C:\install\) in case it is sensitive to it. Make sure you get the path correct... did you really manually copy the game files into the path C:\INSTALL\install with an install directory below the other? You could make it easier on yourself and just copy the files to C:\t7g\ and change ProgDir to that.

When you have the GROOVIE.INI file prepared, you should run INSTALL.EXE before running the game to choose sound hardware settings. The sound driver names in the example config might not be the same as those used in the later install program, so it's important to choose correct ones in the install program.