VOGONS

Getting the original Police Quest to run

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't appear that you are using DOSBox. In the event you are, feel free to post a camera shot of DOSBox after you have started it up and right before you are going to run the command to start Police Quest. That should clear up this little drama quite nicely.

Reply 21 of 31, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You neither know me or know the computer software that I use. Mind your own business.

I thank everyone else for there helpful advice on the subject.

cheers.
amy.

Reply 22 of 31, by FranMichaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well said. 😀
Anyway, how goes it? Have you had any luck with dosbox or scummvm?

Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.

Reply 23 of 31, by Stardust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi FransMichaels,
i tried creating a shortcut on my desktop for dosbox (as advised by Collector in the previous post) and dragged the file sierra.com and launched dosbox, but it said could not find the agi.file. So i might try ScummVM after all.

I even tried creating a shortcut for DosBox and then dragging all the Police Quest files from windows explorer, but it did not fix the problem...

I will keep you posted.

Cheers.
amy.

Reply 24 of 31, by FranMichaels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, if you like you could configure dosbox to mount the folder you keep your dos games in. Then you could run it the old fashioned way.

For example, make a folder in C: called DOS
Then move the police quest 1 folder into it

Launch DOSBox
You should see that z prompt thing

type
mount c c:\DOS
(hit enter)

type C:
(hit enter)
So on and so forth 😀
From there you can do
cd pq1 (or whatever the name of the folder is)

and then run sierra.com

Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.

Reply 26 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stardust wrote:
Hi FransMichaels, i tried creating a shortcut on my desktop for dosbox (as advised by Collector in the previou […]
Show full quote

Hi FransMichaels,
i tried creating a shortcut on my desktop for dosbox (as advised by Collector in the previous post) and dragged the file sierra.com and launched dosbox, but it said could not find the agi.file. So i might try ScummVM after all.

I even tried creating a shortcut for DosBox and then dragging all the Police Quest files from windows explorer, but it did not fix the problem...

I will keep you posted.

Cheers.
amy.

Honestly guy, thats not going to work. Just run dosbox and mount a folder where your game is located, then start the game. The readme, and the previous post, explain how to mount drives.

Reply 27 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't move the file, just drop it on the DOSBox shortcut from the folder that the game is in and it will start. A frontend may be your answer: DOSBox Game Launcher

Reply 28 of 31, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stardust wrote:

You neither know me or know the computer software that I use. Mind your own business.

It was a simple request. If you can't be bothered to do what it takes to give us the information we require to help you, then buzz off already. It's not like we are here waiting with baited breath for the next support request from yet another person who is unable to understand that the documentation installed with DOSBox has been provided for a reason.

Reply 29 of 31, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still suspect although you have installed DOSBox, you haven't actually started the game inside it. This whole thread seems to contain a lot of misunderstanding and confusion 😕.

If you just run dosbox.exe from within the installation folder (C:\DOSBox-0.72 maybe?) with default (i.e. no conf file) settings, you should see the attached start screen.

What exactly do you do afterwards to start up PQUest?

(like e.g. "mount c c:\oldgames" - "C:" - "cd pquest" - "sierra")

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 30 of 31, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My god, two pages of helpful and unhelpful advise for a complete noob who didn't read any of the README files and such and no 'RTFM' anywhere? Seriously guys, if for one minute you'd have thought the OP was a guy instead of a girl, you'd be all over him. You are a bunch of sorry sexist losers. As for the OP: RTFM. Or better, since you are a girl, get your computer savvy boyfriend/brother/father/son/next-door-kid to help you, it's really not that hard!

JAL

Reply 31 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My god, two pages of helpful and unhelpful advise for a complete noob

Is your posting the cumulation of unnecessary postings then?