VOGONS

First post, by kicker04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I got some problems with Gabriel Knight 2. If i try to save the game crashes and this message appears:

Error 47: Not an object: $fe
..\asm2cpp.cpp(55)
Script 64917(30)
C:\SIERRA>

Please help me!

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox.

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 17, by kicker04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read that guide. I did it this way:

keyb de
mount d /volumes/volume_id -t cdrom -ioctl
mount c /dos-spiele
c:
cd sierra
cd gk2dos
gk2dos

Then the game start. It seems to run fine, exept for those save/load problems. I didn't configure anything else.

Thanks for help

Reply 6 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmmm... It looks okay, but shouldn't there be some kind of installation first? Where you do a

D:
install

before running the game?

Reply 7 of 17, by kicker04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed it this way:

keyb de
mount d /volumes/volume_id -t cdrom -ioctl
mount c /dos-spiele
d:
install.exe

That was all. The strange thing is that at the beginning I had no problems to save. Then one time the game crashed while I clicked on "load" during game play. Now I can load a saved game state, but if I click on save the game exits and this error message I wrote appears. I don't understand that.

Reply 8 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

AHHH! Some file, or information in a file, must have been damaged during that crash. Does the problem happen if you start without loading an existing game state, and then save as a new game state?

Reply 11 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's an error from the game not from Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

scanlines??

Have you selected some non-default scaler in DOSBox?

Reply 17 of 17, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If by "scanlines", you mean interlaced, then that is the way that GK2 played the movies.
Never heard why, but I've presumed it was a limitation of the technologies used then, or in a effort to reduce the size of the MANY videos in the game.
I'm not bothered by them, but apparently there is a patch at a website that will remove those lines.
Never used it so no idea if it works, how well, or whether it is just for the windows version.
It's at
https://gkpatches.vogons.org/
under "Gabriel Knight 2 Interlace Patch"