VOGONS

First post, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm trying to get the dos game "Psycho Killer" to run on dosbox 0.72.
no matter what i do, i always get the same problem.
i install the game:
i mount my cd drive, Mount d j:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
i mount my c drive, Mount c c:\dosgames\psycho
i cross to the d:"\> prompt and type install.
it asks me what sound card i have, default is soundblaster. i have that.
it asks me what drive my cd is in, it is d:
it asks my what drive to install it in, i choose c:\, for directory, i already have one mount so i just choose c:\.
the game installs and i am back at the d:\ prompt.
here's the problem: when i try to run the game a messages breifly says "echo off" and i get rocketed back to whatever drive i was at before.
i've tried the c:\>cd psycho thing and i've tried mounting the full directory and running it there. same problem. readme says i don't have to install it, just type "run D" after you put cd in the drive. same problem!
what does ECHO OFF mean?

thanks.

Reply 1 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> mount my c drive, Mount c c:\dosgames\psycho

I think this is the problem.

Delete the Psycho folder, and read/follow my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox but use C:\dosgames when you mount the C-drive.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

psycho pinball wants to be in a subdirectory. else it doesn't work (bug in the game. debugged it once)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are we talking about the same game? OP said it was Psycho Killer, not Psycho Pinball.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 16, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i can't figure out how this could work!

i've tried installing it right to c! (C:\>psycho.bat)
and it doesn't work.

i am almost positive it doesn't have anything to do with how i mount the drives, or if i mount the install directory, because the readme says i can run the game without installation, just pop the cd in, mount the cd drive, type RUN and you're good to go. not for me however. all i get is ECHO OFF

ECHO OFF!

Reply 8 of 16, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course I read what MiniMax wrote.
That's the first thing I did when I saw his response.
I have read it many times, and it has done me well, but this time, things seem to be difficult.
He is telling me that after i install the game as C:\dosgames\psycho\psycho.bat
, I should mount the drive like this:
Mount d j:\ -t cdrom
Mount c c:\dosgames
z:\>c:
c:\>cd psycho
c:\psycho\>dir /w
c:\psycho\>psycho
and it should run. if THAT'S what i have to do, then it's not working. i keep getting the echo off message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 10 of 16, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there is only one file in the output of c:\psycho\>dir /w, and that file is psycho.bat.

here are the contents:

ECHO OFF
D:
CD \KILLER
DTVPLAY -CD -c
C:

i tried changing the echo off line to echo on, but i just got another error message, it flashes on and off the screen so fast i can't see it, but it looks like this:

C:\Psycho>D:

D:\KILLER>cd \KILLER

D:\KILLER>DTVPLAY -CD -C

do i have to name the install folder "KILLER"?

Reply 11 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try executing the lines from the batch file manually and see where it gets wrong.
Like check if there is a KILLER directory on d: and see if the executable dtvplay
is present there.

Reply 13 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And if you do the

D:
CD \KILLER
DTVPLAY -CD -c

commands, what then?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A fix was recently committed for Town With No Name that also applies to Psycho Killer. Both games appear to be developed and/or published by the same company, and they both have the same issue where many files on the CD do not conform to the 8.3 filename restriction of DOS. The problem is that DOSBox does not clip the filenames to 8.3 (as real MSCDEX does) for IMGMOUNT, and it converts the filenames to short form (with tilde: ~) for MOUNT, so the files are not found by the games.

Filenames are clipped to 8.3 in current source, but only for IMGMOUNT; the issue remains for MOUNT. The Psycho Killer disc has a couple of audio tracks, so to get the game running and hear the CD audio, mount a CUE/BIN image in a recent SVN build of DOSBox.