VOGONS

First post, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Redneck Rampage on a 0.75 version of DosBox and i like to run my games in 640x480 fulscreen rezolution WITH SCANLINES-the "scan2x" option.
Now, it worked perfectly fine with Morrowind Daggerfall but(with exactly the same configuration file settings) Redneck Rampage doesn't show the scanlines
in fullscreen mode, but only in windowed mode(in wich the image is huge, no matter what windowed rezolution i pick or even if i let it at "original").
There is something very IMPORTANT that i've got to say:i keep my desktop at 640x480 rezolution, 32 bit color and when i switch to fulscreen from windowed for Daggerfall there is no reaction from my CRT monitor, wereas when i perform the same action for Redneck, my monitor flickers(something is changing, the resolution or something else, i dunno), anyway, the led of my monitor goes off for a second as if changeing resolution.
What can i do to make Redneck Rampage show scanlines(and i appended "forced" as i did with Daggerfall)in fulscreen mode, and not only in windowed mode?

"Some of us are really born to die"
MM

Reply 1 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Have you tried "scan2x forced" instead of just "scan2x".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 14, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@MiniMax:i've stated "What can i do to make Redneck Rampage show scanlines(and i appended "forced" as i did with Daggerfall)in fulscreen mode, and not only in windowed mode?"

MM

Reply 4 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What do you have fullresolution= set to in dosbox.conf?

If you're running RR configured to output 640x480 and your fullscreen resolution is 640x480, there's no room to add scanlines without losing pixels. Scanlines are image processing, not real CRT raster lines.

Use a fullscreen resolution larger than the game is outputing (1280x1024 would be good), and you'll get scanlines. Optionally, you could configure RR to output 320x200, and that will display scanlines with a 640x480 fullscreen resolution, but it won't look so great at the lower res.

Reply 5 of 14, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,indeed i made the fullresolution=800x600 BUT THE SCANLINES LOOK DIFFERENT THAN IN 640X480, they're thicker and more obvious so to say(it alters the image more).
And why did it work with daggerfall in 640x480 then?It depends on the game or what?

MM

Reply 7 of 14, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Debugger,huh?Well that's new for me.Sorry for the caps, and..i.m too tired, got to go get some sleep to repelenish me forces.
Talk about the subject later, fading...

MM

Reply 8 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Daggerfall uses a 320x200 display mode, unless there's some VESA/SVGA enhanced version I'm unaware of...

The larger your fullscreen resolution is compared to what the game is outputing, the better the scanlines will look; because there are more vertical pixels to work with when processing in the scanlines.

You may have noticed that when you tried to force scanlines into a 640x480 fullscreen res that the screen seemed a bit dimmer than usual. That's because there wasn't really any room to fit them in, but it tried and you got a dimmed display instead of visible scanlines.

Reply 9 of 14, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, no dimmed fulscreen 649X480 forced scanlined, sorry don't know what you're talking about.The greater the resolution, the finer the scanlines?What do you mean by that, and i really don't think so:800x600 scanlines more visible and thicker, as i stated before;just more visible, with a great deal of alteration of the game graphics(if you change the resolution in the config file and not in the game setup).Need sleep...

MM

Reply 11 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Your output method will also decide how scanlines look to a certain extent... how they are blended into the image. With output=ddraw, my display is dimmed when forcing scanlines from a game output of 640x480 into a 640x480 fullscreen resolution. I didn't say the scanlines would be finer at larger fullscreen resolutions, only that they will look better, meaning more even and less distorted; but you may define what looks better differently than I. Personally, I don't feel the need to simulate old display hardware artifacts to enjoy old games.

Reply 12 of 14, by mukuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K, i'm back form me slumber.
wd I think you,re right.The game,Redneck Rampage,won't let you play in 300x200;when in the game setup i tried to choose this resolution, a funny redneck voice saying "holy s#$%" let my know i can't choose it and that the minimum was 640x480.
When in config file, switching to 300x200 fullscreen crashed the game!
ripsaw8080 thank you for giving some light on the scanline issue;really helped and to tell you the truth i like it better when the scanlines are more visible and thick(choosing in config file the 800x600 fullscreen setting).
But now i 've got another problem to solve:when i press mouse free look button that i assigned in the game's settings i won't have mouse free look;i've managed to make the mouse move up/down by putting mouse movement to "look up" & "look down" game settings.If i press free mouse look, then i point the gun to the sky, and then press the said button again, the gun will automatically move to the default hight level of the game(the one before i pressed the button);pretty strange, huh?Any ideeas guys, please!
I would really like to enjoy the smoothness of the free mouse look(witch at the moment, with said settings, i don't have), and i know for sure the game has this possibility since i played it in the good old days on a win 98 os.

MM

Reply 13 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I think you may want to look at the game setup for making the mouse aiming key a toggle (on/off), or a momentary key (while the key is held down).

From the setup main menu: Controller Setup > Setup Mouse > Mouse Aiming Mode