VOGONS

First post, by G.Ballblue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying for quite a while now to get my copy of System Shock 1 to install, through DosBox, Windows XP, and even Windows 95 B under a virtual PC. I've tried quite a few things in an attempt to get this game to install, but to no avail.

Method 1 -- Through DosBox

Quite simply, I attempted to do a fresh install of the game through two versions of DosBox -- 0.72 and 0.65. I attempted to switch the "Core" type on both versions, and none work. For the record, I used as many core types availble. In 0.65 I used simple, normal, full, and dynamic. In 0.72, I tried using normal, simple, and auto.
During the installation process, I would try two methods of mounting my hard drive, the first being:

mount c E:\
mount a A:\

Then I would type INSTALL at the A drive. Assuming that no "SHOCK" folder was present on my E drive, attempting to install the game would simply cause the installer to do nothing. The System Shock installer does not report an error, the screen just flickers and nothing happens.
My other method of mounting was:

mount c E:\SHOCK
mount a A:\

If a "SHOCK" folder is already present on the E drive, hitting the install button would ask me if I want to install to the already existing SHOCK folder. If I said yes, I would then get an error asking me to insert disk 1 into my drive. Naturally, the disk would already be inserted at this point and the installation would come to a grinding halt. Removing and re-inserting the floppy disk does not cure the problem.

Method 2 -- Through Windows XP

Attempting to use INSTALL.EXE from disk 1 in WindowsXP Pro simply causes Dos4GW to appear for a few seconds, then blink out of existence. Nothing happens.

Method 3 -- Through MS-DOS Mode in Virtual PC

Installing in MS-DOS mode under Windows 95 B through Virtual PC causes the installer to hang on Disk 2. I read on the internet that this is due to a bug in the installer, where the installer is not compatible with non Intel CPUs. Interestingly enough, I do actually have an Intel Dual Core CPU, though my guess is that my CPU is simply too advanced for the installer. (If I'm wrong, by all means, please correct me.)

Method 4 -- Through WinRAR

As a ditch last resort, I attempted to unpack all of the .LZH files with WinRar. I had some success until I hit disk 3, in which one of the .LZH files refused to unpack. WinRar claimed that that the .LZH file in question was corrupt.

Any tips, tricks, or advice to get the game to install would be much appreciated. I have been to the TTLG website and read up on getting SS 1 to work under WinXP, though I have to admit, I don't feel particularly comfortable doing some of the stuff in that tutorial 😒 To add, most of the suggested tricks in that tutorial are for the CD version of the game, and don't seem particuarly relevant to my version of the game.

Once again, toss me any advice; I'd much appreciate it.

Last edited by G.Ballblue on 2008-06-19, 07:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The installer for System Shock cares about the labels on the diskettes. Try mounting the A drive such as:

mount a A:\ -t floppy

I'm not sure if identifying the drive as a floppy allows the label to be read from it, or if there's something else at work, but doing so will placate the installer.

When you switch disks, make sure to hit Ctrl-F4 to clear the directory cache.

Reply 4 of 5, by G.Ballblue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:
The installer for System Shock cares about the labels on the diskettes. Try mounting the A drive such as: […]
Show full quote

The installer for System Shock cares about the labels on the diskettes. Try mounting the A drive such as:

mount a A:\ -t floppy

I'm not sure if identifying the drive as a floppy allows the label to be read from it, or if there's something else at work, but doing so will placate the installer.

When you switch disks, make sure to hit Ctrl-F4 to clear the directory cache.

That, sir, worked like a dream. The game installed correctly and runs great. I'm going to print this information out for future reference, labeling the floppy drive had not occured to me, nor had I ever done it before.

Thanks again to everyone who I helped out 😁

Reply 5 of 5, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were quite a few games and programs that checked the floppy label - most of the Access Software games such as the Links golf courses and Amazon, the GEM programs, and Deluxe Paint are ones I can think of right off.