VOGONS

First post, by paralipsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play Montezuma's Revenge, but I am encountering problems getting either of the control systems to work.

Firstly, the keyboard relies on individual keystrokes rather than the usual key_down and key_up being mapped to start_movement and end_movement. This means that the repeat delay before it acknowledges that a key is being held down makes it unplayable

Secondly, when I activate joystick input instead, I am greeted with a totally unplayable lack of dead zone. (Using an Xbox 360 wired controller) It should be notes that I have yet to get the controller working nicely on any games through DOSBox, but in the past that didn't really matter because the keyboard controls worked fine and it is what I am used to anyways.

I'm not really sure what if any configuration options that I might use in DOSBox to resolve either or both of these issues.

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tried usescancodes=true / false ?

Same problem with another controller?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by paralipsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That seems to have gotten the controller working much better. Thanks.

I realise now that the keyboard controls were always broken for that game. Bad programming. Maybe with a controller I will actually manage to finish it one day.