VOGONS

Connect Dosbox ipx with Windows 98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sounds like the missing piece is IPX drivers/stuff for the Win98 machine-- do you have them installed on the Win98 box? Are they working properly? If not, it won't work. These drivers/this stuff is not the same as what's in h-a-l 9000's "mega-build" (unless I'm very much mistaken).

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 22 of 31, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you could try troubleshooting it with a packet sniffer like Wireshark? See if the IPX packets get through (i.e. run Wireshark in the background and have it capture all the network traffic - you can make it only capture IPX if you want to save memory).

Reply 24 of 31, by Jappie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the Windows 98 computer that causes the problem. I've tried it with Windows XP connecting to Windows 98 and I saw the wireless icon blinking in Windows XP. This means that it is searching for other players (it uses the adapter), but he can't find them.

I also find out that the Megabuild DosBox uses the Novell IPX ODI protocol, but the Windows 98 uses the Microsoft IPX/SPX protocol. That's the problem I think.

Edit: I've just tested if the Windows 98 computers see each other, and yes. Without any problems I can play a game.

Edit2: I was thinking of making a some files for the 'real' dos to have the DosBox IPX emulation. Would that be possible?

Reply 25 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you add the mac address from dosbox.conf to your wireless hub?

Are the Ethernet frame types really the same?

The ODI to MS should not be the problem, I got feedback from one user this worked for. Probably on copper LAN though.

The issue could be the wireless stuff, however I don't have such things and can't confirm. No idea how encryption and such respond to a different MAC. If the Win98 computers have a LED that flashes on network traffic and it also flashes when the DOSBox on the XP computer tries to connect then the packets at least arrive there.

1+1=10

Reply 26 of 31, by Jappie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I added the MAC Adress to my router. The Frames are all the same.

I will try Wireshark. I don't think it's the wireless stuff. Both Windows 98 computers are wireless, and they can connect to each other.

If I want to setup a network game between the Windows XP and Windows 98 computer, both network cards have flashing leds. There must be something wrong in the protocol...

Reply 27 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A small piece of advice: You are juggling with many unknowns here: WinXP, Win98, IPX drivers, wireless devices, routers, filters, and finally DOSBox. Try to eliminate as many as possible.

Drop the router and replace it with a simple wired hub.

Drop DOSBox and find some simple, native IPX tool that allows you to do *something* between 2 PC runnings IPX.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 29 of 31, by Jappie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, but I found a possible solution: GIT, Gamer's Internet Tunnel. But I don't think it's compatible with DosBox because they are not connecting, or my settings are wrong.

(http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/)

Reply 30 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I very much doubt that you will ever get anything to work. You lack the discipline and methodology to find the root cause of the problems, and instead skip like a butterfly from one non-working solution to another.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions