VOGONS

First post, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to install said game on dosbox 0.72.

I mount my drives:

Mount c c:\dosgames

Mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Everything is good.

I get into the D: directory and type install. I get past all options, but the install hangs at the INSTALLING SPRITES.PL message.

What's happening? I quit out of Dosbox and I see the SPRITES.PL file in the install folder, so i don't know.

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scratched CD? Try to make an image (BIN/CUE, NRG whatever), to see if there are some real read errors.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 10, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think so, the cd looks alright.

I tried installing it in a native windows xp dos box, and it got past the SPRITES.PL thing, but when I tried to skip past the intro, it locked up.

Any help?

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am still saying you should give the CRC check a shot. Who knows if the installer doesn't even have a CRC copy routine. Maybe it's copying corrupted files.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have succesfully created a bin/cue image, it's moderately safe to assume there are no read errors (CRC errors) on the CD.

Try what tsampikos said.

Try also with core=normal

and also invoking loadfix before launching the game.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Game installation in DOSBox for 'Hell' takes quite a while, but it gets there. Set core to dynamic and up the cycles manually until your CPU is maxed out (on my machine around 30.000 cycles) should get the game installed in a couple of minutes.

Reply 8 of 10, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'll try the Cycles thing. Now that I think of it, that really might help.

I had a similar problem with "Stonekeep", a medieval cinematic adventure for DOS. I was trying to install the game, but when it got to the point where it gets to the flashing message saying "Verifying Copied Files", it seemed to take forever.

I will try what was said in this forum.

If this doesn't work, I'll post with the results.

Thanks.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jayvie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I have problems with this game too. I installed it in Windows. When I try to open it in dosbox, I get some kind of setupscreen where I can choose the soundcard etc...
When I press 'Save & exit', I can't seem to start the game.