VOGONS

First post, by Paolo_R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running DOSBox 0.72, have set up a batch file to set the required environment variables and mounted my MSCOBOL5 directory.

But when I try to compile I get error messages stating that, for example,
<path>\BIN does not exist, or that it cannot find the help file
(which is there and on the path). It basically means I can't compile any code.

Has anyone succeeded in using this compiler under DOSBox and, if so, what steps were required?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's a common user problem with Dosbox. When a game (or in this case a program) was installed or set up "outside" of Dosbox in the host system, paths the installer sets are most often wrong when you mount the game directory in Dosbox.
Easy fix: mount the root of where the compiler is installed to. For example, if it is installed to c:\program files\... mount c c:\ (you will get a warning, though)
Not so easy fix, either install the compiler in Dosbox. Or check the files in the compiler directory if it points to paths that are wrong after you mount the compiler dir, but that will mess up everything again, when you use the compiler outside of Dosbox.
Warning: I'm not sure if the compiler will compile correctly when you use it inside of Dosbox. It could be that it will mess things up.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper