VOGONS

Might and Magic 4: Clouds of Xeen

Topic actions

First post, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having trouble getting this old RPG to work. It freezes when trying to create new party members at an inn and also just playing the intro freezes. This applies to my CD, is exasperation I tried downloading a version (since in Canada it's legal to copy things if you own them) and when that failed I checked and yes, even the demo version fails to run properly. Since I know it's not version specific. I have deleted the downloaded version.

This is an issue I never thought to ask help with until now.

Using the latest version of Dosbox.

Reply 1 of 24, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[MOVED]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

We need more brains!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I meant we need more details.

How did you install, how did you mount, how did you configure?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the CD version I have it in my d drive and mount it in dosbox as:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

Most games I seem to get running fine with default settings only needing to change the cycles. I'm not exactly a DOSbox wiz.

For the demo version I've tried running it off my Inherit the earth CD with doxbox directly and I've also copied it to the old game folder I mounted as c in dosbox.

Reply 4 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you mount a c drive as well right ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

haha, of course =)

Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install it.

Reply 6 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

with the risk of sounding lazy. could you point me to demo ? I'll see if I can get it running and saving

Reply 7 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The demo itself doesn't actually allow you to "play" it is automated by uses the game's actual engine to show you the intro and how the game runs. Before computers could handle mpeg4, that was how trailers were released 😉

I'll see if I can upload that demo somewhere. Thanks for the help!

Reply 8 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What would be a good place to upload the demo? I've zipped it up from my Inherit the Earth CD 😉

Reply 10 of 24, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

disk 1
disk 2

Reply 11 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow, he's good

Reply 12 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
khalbrae wrote:

(...) even the demo version fails to run properly.

Demo works fine here by me. Selected Sound Blaster Pro and IRQ 7 during the sound configuration phase.

In what way does it fail for you?

Reply 13 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm... that demo seems to be a bit different from mine. This demo you install and for some reason it runs fine... but my demo is one you run right off the CD.

Really all of the Might and Magic demos on the CD seem to experience some sort of issue that also seems to somewhat replicate in the legit copy of the game (like really long slowness/delay in Might and Magic 3 when switching scenes. The Darkside of Xeen demo just freezes at the word "inconcievable". The Clouds demo I have uploaded freezes at the same spot it would in the real version, right after Crodo says "I am Crodo". Only the World of Xeen demo seems to run right somehow, actually, scratch that. I've recorded it in DOSBOX to try to show it as an example of how it works fine, but half of the vocal audio doesn't seem to record to DOSbox despite half of the voices working and the midi recording too).

Anyway, I just bundled the demos in question up in a zip and uploaded them temporarily into the space being used for my future Heroes of Might and Magic shrine on RPGclassics. I'll be taking down the link in a week.

http://tartarus.rpgclassics.com/homm1/DEMOS.zip

Last edited by khalbrae on 2009-05-01, 02:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't have time to figure out how to mount and run those demos. If you want help, please give me the exact mount commands, the exact command to start the demo(s) and what is not working.

Reply 15 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you don't need to mount them, just copy them to your hard drive in whatever folder you've mounted as C and run them from there, the command is just demo (except might and magic 3, that's "mm3 v s" for VGA and sound blaster

Reply 16 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

MM3 seems to use dos get time for timing. However at the time (skull appears to freeze for 10 seconds) the game is mainly
messing around with allocating memory and freeing it again. checking the dos version. setting memory allocation strategy a few times in a row. Just as if it doesn't get the memory as it expects it to get it.

Btw I had remove the attribute read only from your directories. (there is a warning in the console about it). Not sure if that helps with anything though. might be a cdrom detection.

Reply 17 of 24, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's waiting on a SoundBlaster event that never triggers.
It might be missing a cue. I'll look into it.

Reply 18 of 24, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it. They've hard-coded the IRQ as 5.
You can either edit your DOSBox.conf (should work for all of them), or edit the .cfg files (which works only for DARK and XEEN. I haven't looked at how the other two set their configs). To edit the .cfg files, you'll see this:
the "05" is the IRQ. You need to change that to 07.

Reply 19 of 24, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also figured out why the other half of the voices don't capture when I use the demo. I ran it with a different CD in, it turns out the World of Xeen demo uses CD audio for the character voices that aren't hard-coded into the game. Any way to make DOSbox capture the CD audio being used as well?

And yes, changing it to IRQ 5 DOES fix the problems with my actual game too. Thanks so much! Wonder why it worked with an IRQ 7 SB pro back when I ran it on my 486 all those years ago? You know, back when Dr Sbaitso used to always talk sass.