VOGONS

First post, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently dl'd dosbox so i could play champions of krynn but everytime i try to save a character a msg at the btm of the screen says unexpected save error:3hal1. has this happened to anyone else and if so how can i correct it?

Reply 1 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prhps u shld gve us mre nfrmtn bout how u hve cnfgrd dsbx to play the gme.

Reply 2 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If i havent messd with the default config. i have it mounted as C:\temp\champions if that helps any.

Reply 3 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the directory is read-only? In Windows, right-click on the game directory, uncheck the read-only attribute, click OK, then apply changes to all files in subdirectories. Then try the game in dosbox.

edit: If you have the game in c:\temp\champions I would:
1) rename it to champs (or anything less than 8 characters)
2) mount c c:\temp in dosbox to have the game files in their own directory, not the c: root (in DOS the root is for system files such as config.sys)
3) in dosbox, c:, cd champs, then start the game with its executable

Last edited by ripa on 2009-05-25, 01:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay but how do i change the sub directories?

Reply 5 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Windows XP, when you uncheck the read-only attribute for a directory and click OK, it shows a dialog asking whether you want to apply the changes to current directory only, or to all the subdirectories and their files. Choose the latter, then click OK.

Reply 6 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay it wasnt read only. i mounted the c drive as you instructed but now i cant pull up the directory for the folder. im honestly very rusty when it comes to dos....what do i do from here?

Reply 7 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh and im using Vista which blows

Reply 8 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay i followed your directions to a T but im still getting that msg when i try to save a character. at this point i think its dosbox and not my computer. so basically im stuck.

Reply 9 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

at this point i think its dosbox and not my computer.

Maybe neither of these two but plain user error.

First of all post full system specs including dosbox version, EXACTLY how
you installed the game and how the full mounting lines look like.

Reply 10 of 10, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually i discovered on my own what the problem was. after reading a prior post by el pusherin the forum i tried trashing the krynn.cfg file and starting the game up and specified a different game path and viola!