VOGONS

First post, by Covenant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. Just recently I decided I wanted to play through the trilogy (played Dark Queen when I was a young teen). Have the games, have Dosbox now, but cannot play.

Kind folks at abandonia helped me through some initial troubles, but I'm still stuck. When I attempt to create a character it seems to save, but the data of the character isn't there, so I cannot load a character. Additionally it won't even let me start the game.

One guy helping asked for a dosbox screenshot of some code while helping, but the command didn't capture anything so I had to use a plain old screenshot.

That issue, along with the Krynn trouble, has me thinking my problem is with dosbox itself and not the game. Now, please understand I'm clueless on dos & code, it took a couple of days at abandonia's members helping just to get me to the point I'm at now, so any advice needs to be spelled out/typed up. What am I doing wrong, or what can I do that I haven't in order to get Dosbox running properly on my computer? OS is Vista, btw.

Reply 1 of 5, by Covenant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update. After that issue with being unable to do a printscreen in dosbox, I figured it was a permissions issue all around. Well I've got the permissions issue taken care of entirely, full control for everything, I can now see the .sfx & .who files for the characters within the oldgames folder, can do printscreens and find them in the capture folder.

But I still can't load a character or begin the game. Right back to nothing. Any other starting menu option I can select & go into. Can create all the characters I like, disable the mouse til the cows come home, exit to Dos as I please, but whenever I choose to add characters to party I get bupkis.

Reply 2 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[MOVED]

So you got this game from Abandonia, didn't you?

If so, you better keep asking there. We don't support abandonware here.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 5, by Covenant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah, didn't get it from there. Got it elsewhere, got Dosbox to play it, couldn't play it, then after googling certain issue specific words I came across a topic on their forum where some were having similar troubles.

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still, we don't support abandonware here for obvious reasons...

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 5, by classicgamerjay81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rename the folder champs and stick it in the temp folder,open the game folder and trash the krynn.cgf file and open db and run the game, specify the save path as c:\temp\champ and viola you can save your characters!