VOGONS

First post, by Lost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have DosBox installed and my OS is Windows XP, I've run Descent on it using these commands:

mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\User name\My Documents\Dos Games\Game

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

C:

GAMES\DESCENT\DESCENTR

I've installed Descent II to the same Games folder as Descent, and tried using the same commands by just changing the final one to "DESCENT II" but it hasn't worked. I'm not experience at this, I found the right commands for the first game on a website and had extra help here. Any help for this would be very much appreciated!

Reply 2 of 17, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although not an answer to your question, I recommend playing Descent 1/2 with DXX-Rebirth source port.
That way you can play the game in full speed and greater resolutions on not so powerful machines.

Reply 4 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These should be the commands you want:

mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\User name\My Documents\Dos Games\Game" -t dir
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
cd GAMES\DESCENT
DESCENTR.EXE

mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\User name\My Documents\Dos Games\Game" -t dir
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
cd GAMES\DESCENT2
DESCENT2.EXE

Some suggestions:
To make the path shorter to type and remove spaces try a different folder. I use mount C C:\DOS\GAMES -t dir
Make an ISO of the CDs and imgmount them, -t iso
Try a front end and see if it's more to your liking

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2009-06-04, 00:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 17, by Lost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried both of the above and just got "unable to change to: DESCENT2"
Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure I've installed it just like I did with Descent, and it's in the same folders.

Reply 7 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had no issues installing and running Descent II through DOSBox by mounting my CD drive with the Descent II cd in. Are you installing it through DOSBox? You should, so the installer will know the CD drive you're pulling it from, and use it to start the game with (for cutscenes and the essentially superior CD audio)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 17, by Lost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I must have tried installing it outside of DosBox, I installed it through DosBox this time, and everything seemed to work ok, the intro movie played and then I was asked to enter my pilot name. But when I exited out and tried starting it again through DosBox, I can't get it to work. After going through the usual mounting commands I tried:

C:\>GAMES\DESCENT2\D2 (which is what I was instructed would start the game when I was installing it) but that resulted in

Illegal command:eregcard
Illegal command:descent2

I also tried using the command that SCARDAVNELNATE suggested up there, but everything registers with either "Illegal command" or "unable to change to" Am I missing something here? Sorry to be so dense guys, I'm an amateur at best.

Reply 9 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to actually "CD" to the directory where the executable lies. You cannot just execute the game executable from another directory otherwise it will not be able to find the files it needs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 17, by Lost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

You need to actually "CD" to the directory where the executable lies. You cannot just execute the game executable from another directory otherwise it will not be able to find the files it needs.

So, what exactly should I type into DosBox?

Reply 12 of 17, by Lost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
cd games cd descent2 d2 […]
Show full quote

cd games
cd descent2
d2

'cd' and 'dir' are your friends!

Thanks 😀 But should I type those in a line like this: cd games cd descent2 d2
or do I need to hit enter after each one?

Reply 16 of 17, by Speed Demon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum, i'm new to the forum. i also have descent 2 (legit). it did work in the past. it does work with dosbox. however, dos box crashes a lot:
1. the window behind dosbox says (infinite times)dosbox can't run the code on this page.
2. dosbox just closes, no warning.

help please.

PS: by the way, the people who cratred this: you guys are genious!!!