VOGONS

First post, by agerlords

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have always been a big fan of adventure games, and Return to Zork is no exception. However while the floppy version is quite easy to get working DOSbox, I have had not so much luck with the CD-rom version. The game will run, even with cinematic support, but will not play the wonderful CD soundtrack.

After a routine setup and installation, I find that if I mount my image of the game CD on a virtual drive without the '-t cdrom' tag it will play normally, but it if is included DOSbox will stop dead in it's tracks and freeze until I CAD out of it and end the process.

I am really at a loss to explain why it is not working; if my G:\ drive is not mounted as CD-rom drive DOSbox will not recognize it as such and will not play the CD soundtrack; but if it is then it will not start the game. (and it doesn't explain why it will magically find the cinematics yet not the music. >.>)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using DOSBox 0.73?
If you mount the image using your image mounting program does the CD Audio work in Windows Media Player?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by agerlords

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it both on .72 and .73. Also the tracks must be encoded in some proprietary format because I can't see the tracks visibly on the CD image. It's more or less the fact that it freezes whenever I attempt to use the drive it's on with the 'cdrom' tag... Could a corrupt image cause that?

Edit: All the files on the disc aside from the installer and a text file are of the .PMV extension, which is something I've never heard of.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ISO images don't contain CD audio. You would need to make a BIN/CUE image.

Are you able to play other CD games properly? Perhaps the game accesses the CD drive in ways that aren't properly supported in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 6, by agerlords

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. I haven't run into an instance like that. The only other DOSgames I play such as Zork - Grand Inquisitor and Full Throttle (just two examples) can either be run without the use of aid or a specialized port such as ScummVM. The latter doesn't require a CD, and Z - GI can be run from Windows alone so it has no problem playing off CD drive, virtual or no.

If the image of RTZ-CD doesn't have the audio soundtrack on it (technically it's just a .rar that had the install CD's contents that I turned into an iso) that's understandable; it would explain it's small size (around 120MB) and I have a copy of the OST somewhere. Maybe I can put it in with the game's files and make an image of my own...

I guess I can rest easy knowing the iso didn't have the files on them in the first place, but it still doesn't explain why DOSbox crashes everytime I try to launch the game with the -t cdrom perimeter. I don't have much of a way of testing if it's a game exclusive problem since most of my other DOS games are either run from specialized source ports or just Windows alone, as I said earlier. 😒

Thanks for the help anyway, though.

(Note: There are guides for getting RTZ-CD to work on DOSbox, I seem to be the rare 1/10 case who can't get it working properly even after consulting a guide. It would probably help if I hadn't lost my original game CD. Wouldn't be using a image if I had that.)

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Return to Zork CD image is about 400+ meg.

Some games EXPECT CD audio tracks. I can't say if that's the case for Return to Zork but other games have issues with not launching if the Audio Tracks are missing.

It always helps to have an original copy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by agerlords

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I am either going to have to look for a complete image or just try to snag a (less than) fresh copy at an electronics boutique and see if that fairs better.

Or somehow hope my OST has kept the original names of the songs so I can put them into an image myself.