VOGONS

First post, by f1reball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is kind of a luxury problem, but here it goes: Kyrandia works perfect for me, expect when it comes to the MIDI sound. As i understand it DOSBox doesn't emulate MIDI and just passes it through which is no problem for me and if it doesn't sound 100% like the original, so be it. However, in the setup of Kyrandia there seems to be no way to set up a mixed mode for MIDI and sound effects to be on separate devices, only speech. So when i start the game all sound effects are just completely wrong, they now sound like midi music samples, so i guess they are also played by the MIDI device, which i can't believe to be the intent of the original developers. Is this a bug in emulation? Is there a way to fix this (midi mapping settings in windows etc.)? Thx for your help! 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to MobyGames, Kyrandia needs a Roland MT-32 (or compatible) for its MIDI soundtrack. Most PCs today have General MIDI, which isn't compatible with MT-32 MIDI. You'll have to either use one of the Sound Blaster options, get a real MT-32 (or CM-32L/CM-64), or use Munt.

The MT-32 allowed custom sounds to be loaded, so it wasn't unusual for games to use that device for sound effects.

Last edited by Tsyu on 2009-06-21, 01:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by f1reball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, just installed this MUNT thingie. I'm deeply impressed, it's like hearing this game the first time. I mean i used to have a Sound Blaster back in those days, but i never thought a MT-32 would be THAT much better. Thx for the help! 😁