VOGONS

First post, by Davidkthx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble getting this game to run on DOSBox .72 + .73 (I tried lots of other versions with no success either) and would really like to be able to play this game again. I can get the game to run to the point of choosing my sound and control options, but when I click the little blue globe to start, I get lots of "Illegal read from F100024d" and a bunch of other illegal reads. I tried mounting the CD drive and running it from there, doesn't work. I tried copying all the files to my local disk and running it from there, doesn't work.

Any help or suggestions to get this working?

Reply 2 of 6, by Davidkthx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm not installing it, am i supposed to?

What I'm doing is just running it from the disk or just copying the contents to the hard drive. Works fine until I have to select my sound then i get a black screen and get all these Illegal Reads.

Is there someway I need to set this game up or install it?

Reply 3 of 6, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Is there someway I need to set this game up or install it?"

The same way you'd install it on a real dos computer. Put the disk/cdrom in, go to the disk/cdrom drive, run the installer (often INSTALL.EXE, SETUP.EXE). Make sure you have mounted a C drive before running the installer. When playing afterwards, use the same mountings.

Reply 4 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Magic Carpet was one of those games that ran directly from the CD. There was not a setup or install program to run. It would create a Carpet.CD folder on your hard drive for save games and settings, but the executable itself was on the CD. I have played it by several methods such as just mounting the physical CD as D:, copying the files from the CD to my hard drive and mounting it as D: with the -t cdrom switch, or using imgmount on an iso.