VOGONS

First post, by delibrete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently new at dosbox but I now how to mount a directory and run a game.

But the problem I'm having is running a game called noctis.

I am running on vista x86. Noctis is a dos game but wont run in dosbox.

Noctis is probably one of the best dos games ever made (I even think it's better than Doom)

!!!PLEASE HELP!!!

!!!Will thank who solves this problem!!!

Reply 1 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I tried it out and it turns out that it's actually designed to run on Windows.

Reply 2 of 9, by delibrete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I can't run it on vista? even though vista is windows?

Reply 3 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It has a win32 launcher program, but it only runs the game AFAICT. According to Mobygames the game was released in 2001, which may explain why there's a win32 launcher for a DOS game. You can do the same thing by running "MODULES\NOCTIS.EXE" from the same folder where the launcher program is located. Try max cycles, because the game seems to need a lot.

Dunno about this game's status, but you really shouldn't link it here unless it's known to be shareware/freeware.

Reply 4 of 9, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Noctis is freeware. Check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis

Noctis works also under DOSBOX. Actually this is a DOS game with Windows port.
When you want to run it under DOSBOX, simply enter in to directory DATA and launch noctis.exe. Set up much cycles (about 40000) and you can play it! I don't know how it works under Vista, I have XP.

Reply 5 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Linking to the game on the author's page for it would have made its status more clear from the beginning instead of something the OP had recently uploaded on 4shared.

And NOCTIS.EXE is in MODULES, not in DATA. You're basically just reiterating my instructions, but with incorrect information.

Reply 6 of 9, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, it's my fault, noctis.exe is located in MODULES directory. But I don't allow attack me! I don't reiterating your instructions, because you said to try max cycles, and I said to set up this cycles about 40 k. It was not my intention to simply copy your instructions! Not everyman on this world is a thief!

Reply 7 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I said the game appears to need a lot of cycles, you said it needs "much cycles". Sounds pretty redundant to me.

Attack? Thief? I said you were reiterating my instructions. Do you suffer from a persecution complex or something?

Reply 8 of 9, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you believe, I practically only took a look at your post and made mine? I've launched this game, increased cycles to 40 k and it's all. Ok, I won't continue this discussion, because I mustn't get angry. I repeat: maybe this look so, I copy your instructions and reiterating it, but this isn't true. It wasn't my intention to make so. EOT!