VOGONS

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game compatabilty chart says I may get this error and if so copy all of the files to the HD and run the installer from there.. but even with that I get the same error.

Dosbox 0.73 run using the following command line:

C:\Games\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe -c "mount c c:\games\retro" -c "mount e e:\ -type cdrom"

Running: e:\install yields:

Down Under Dan INSTALL Program V1.0

Run time error 005 at 0249:012A

in the console window there's the following log entry:

Warning: file e:\TOADD\RIVA.1 exists and failed to open in write mode.
Please Remove write-protection

Obviously E: is my mapped CD-ROM so removing write protection would be difficult!

I've probably missed something really obvious so thanks in advance for advice!

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try sticking more to conventions:

mount c c:\games\retro
mount d e:\ -type cdrom
d:
install

namely, mount the CDROM as drive D, and make that the default drive before running the install.

Reply 2 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had actually tried that and strangely enough the warning in the console was exactly the same, including the reference to e:\

There is also a Windoiws installer [of sorts] which I also ran that provided a bunch of files... However, runing the executable I got the exact same message!

I installed the game on a Virtual PC and it worked so I can only assume it doesn't like my physical CD being at E: Also, not sure why I didn't try last night but I've just successfully installed and run the game with VDMSound. I did have to patch the exe for 'run time error 200' but that's fairly normal 😀 That's a good enough solution for the time being I guess.

Doesn't explain why it wouldn't work in DOSBox!

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Just noticed another little problem with your mount command, should be:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

There is no -type parameter, and it's silently ignored. You should see a message about MSCDEX being installed after mounting the first CDROM device in DOSBox. Could explain why the installer/game is confused if the drive is considered a HD and not a CD.

Reply 4 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good spot... and you were 100% correct, thanks for that! Clearly nothing else I had used ever worried about it as I've been using that [wrong] syntax for a while 😳

Reply 5 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about adding "-type" support to dosbox too. I think it is more user friendly cause you will be able to remember the switch easier. It could even be used in intro instead of "-t" so that the intro would be more understandable (less hard to remember switches). Nevertheless it won't hurt having both and may help some users (not only new ones cause even oldbies didn't notice it is not supported). It is also similar to what we can already use in dosbox.conf: option=true/false or option=t/f.

Reply 6 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Small change in dos_programs.cpp to support it, but is it really that useful?

std::string type="dir";
- cmd->FindString("-t",type,true);
+ if (!cmd->FindString("-t",type,true)) cmd->FindString("-type",type,true);
bool iscdrom = (type =="cdrom"); //Used for mscdex bug cdrom label name emulation
if (type=="floppy" || type=="dir" || type=="cdrom") {

Reply 7 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it is more usefull for beginners or people who use it rarely. If you use it often then -t is more usefull.

For example i never use short switch for writing config file as i don't use it often. I always use config -writeconfig dosbox.conf. Than i get "no such section or property" and i wonder what went wrong. Even now when i wanted to check what the short switch was i was typing config -wt and wondered why it doesn't work 😉

So yes, -type is more intuitive, easier memorizable, easier understandable, easier to recall, easier to explain.