VOGONS

First post, by Darnn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I'm trying to run something called Creative Screen Singer Series - Children's Melodies. This is a CD that came with our Sound Blaster card way back when (though not the very same one, since that one was worn from use, but a replacement I got on eBay).
It was made, as you can tell from the name, by Creative Labs. Which I mention because it refuses to recognize Sound Blaster when I try to install it.

I've mounted a directory as the C drive. This directory contains an installation of Sound Blaster, in a 'sb16' directory, from files provided here:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster ISA Cards' Drivers Collection (Old Thread)

Then I've mounted an image of the CD as the D drive.

When I run the installation program, it checks the amount of available memory, the CD drive, etc., but when it checks the sound card, it gives the following error:

"The sound card is not installed properly or supported by 'Children Melodies'
0"

The zero is interesting, because when I try to do the same thing from Windows, it gives me the same error message, only with a '2' at the end of it.

I tried decreasing the CPU cycles, but to no avail.

Now, the Screen Singer CD contains files named autoexec.s16, autoexec.sbp, config.s16 and config.sbp, whose purpose seems obvious.

Autoexec.s16 looks like this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET PROMPT=$P$G
PATH C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;
C:\SB16\SBCONFIG.EXE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /M:220,220 /VOC:220,220 /CD:220,220 /FM:220,220 /LINE:220,220 /MIC:220 /TREBLE:160,160 /BASS:160,160 /OPGAIN:4,4
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /V /D:MSCD001 /M:15
LH C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /L
MOUSE

Config.s16 looks like this:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE MIN=2048 2048 H=80 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
STACKS=9,256
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB16\DRV\SBCD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220
REM Your SBCD.SYS may reside in a differen directory. Update accordingly.

I do recall having an sbconfig.exe and a 'sb16set' directory in my SB16 install on my old 486, but these two don't appear in the SB16 install that I made from the files in the aforementioned thread.

Still, I doubt that it's doing somthing as elementary as checking for file names, I suspect it wants some specific SB16 drivers to be loaded which aren't loaded.

I'm attaching the thing's help files, if those could give anyone any ideas.

But, overall, any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 2, by qwerty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know its 5 years since ur post 😀, but is there any image available for this CD?