VOGONS

First post, by HeX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I did a search on the forum to see if a solution to my problem is available, but the closest thing I've found is here:

imgmount

It seems like the person there found a solution, but I don't understand what exactly he did to get it to work.

The problem:

When I try to run install.exe, I get a "need HD !!" error. Same with trying to run makechar.exe.

The game exe runs fine and everything, but without running the installer you can't roll your own new character.

I tried using the "imgmount" like it says in the other post, but I don't have a disk image. How can I create a fake disk image? I don't have an image of the game. The contents of the game are simply inside of a folder.

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The installer reads the boot sector from the HD with INT 13 and looks for certain stuff in it. DOSBox fakes success of this kind of low-level access on the HD because a few games use it as a test, however it does not go so far as to create simulated contents of the boot sector. Booting real DOS with an HD image works correctly with such low-level stuff.

FYI, makechar.exe is a hacked copy of install.exe that bypasses installation from floppy, but does not eliminate the HD check. If you execute makechar.exe twice in a row, it will let you edit the character on the second execution. This happens because DOSBox doesn't actually write anything into the INT 13 sector buffer, and some stuff left in memory from the first execution is considered to be the contents of the boot sector, which manages to satisfy the disk check.