VOGONS

Old Application problem

Topic actions

First post, by theunfor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i'm Emiliano from Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm trying to run an old management program for a small buisness (the program was made for DOS)

At the moment, I'm fighting to run it in windows xp

I've installed DOSBox and the program runs ok, untill I recieve two error messages related with congif.sys and autoexec.bat

I was reading the program's manual and I've found out that I need:

1) the config.sys to set
" files=65 "
"buffers=20 "

2) the autoexec.bat file
set clipper f=60
swwappath c:\temp

Please,I need that someone can guide me and tell me how to set/add/modify this two files: config.sys and autoexec.bat with DOSBox so I can correctly run my program

Thanks a lot!!!

Reply 1 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

run it with core=normal. (this is very important!)
the changes to config.sys aren't needed

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

run it with core=normal. (this is very important!)

Why's that important?

Also, the autoexec.bat changes can go in the [autoexec] section of your dosbox config file (Start Menu -> DOSBox -> Edit DOSBox Configuration)

Reply 3 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as else it won't run 😀
clipper programs need a special exception which is only supported in that core

Reply 4 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know, thanks!

So I guess DOSBox does have some non-game-specific fixes after all - or is there a game out there that uses clipper database stuff?

Reply 6 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@Qbix: I have no problems compiling or running Clipper apps with dynamic core; do you know what special conditions might exist to require the exception you speak of? Is it maybe the Clipper debugger or something that's not part of the standard Clipper libraries? I have tried Clipper Summer '87 and Clipper 5, both of which use Microsoft C runtime code (earlier versions used Lattice C), with Borland's TLINK and the Blinker overlay linker to link the executables.

Reply 8 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
theunfor wrote:

thanks for the answers

how do I run it with core=normal??????

Look for the core=auto in the dosbox config file and change it to core=normal

and with the autoexec.bat config, I just write down those commands at the end of the notepad??[/quote]
that should work, although i'd put it on the line right after [autoexec] just to be safe

Reply 15 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
ripsaw8080 wrote:

@Qbix: I have no problems compiling or running Clipper apps with dynamic core; do you know what special conditions might exist to require the exception you speak of? Is it maybe the Clipper debugger or something that's not part of the standard Clipper libraries? I have tried Clipper Summer '87 and Clipper 5, both of which use Microsoft C runtime code (earlier versions used Lattice C), with Borland's TLINK and the Blinker overlay linker to link the executables.

I don't know the specific version of clipper involved
but it is the exception in this instruction

CASE_B(0x88)												/* MOV Eb,Gb */

Reply 16 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If I'm reading the code for that opcode correctly, the exception occurs under protected mode. Clipper was real mode only until sometime after Computer Associates acquired the rights from Nantucket, and linkers like Exospace (another CA acquisition) and later versions of Blinker stared offering pmode. I'm guessing it's a CA-Clipper pmode executable that needs the exception, but real mode executables are probably OK with dynamic core.