VOGONS

First post, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I'm trying to get the CD version of Star Trek 25th Anniversary to work, but I keep running into this problem:

After I get to installation menu (from my mounted DvD/CD Rom drive), I select "install game" on directory "C:\ TrekCD, hit enter, game installs and says press any key to continue, then under display type I tried all 3 choices to see if it made any difference (Choices are VGA 320x200x256, EGA 640x480x16, Tandy 16 color). Then I select Mouse and Keyboard, then I select Sound Blaster 16 for sound and music, and it freezes up. Even though that happens, I still get a folder installed. When I try startrek.exe under C:\TrekCD though, it says No CD-Rom drive detected, make sure you run MSCDEX.exe and that the correct CD-Rom device driver is present in your Config.sys file. The problem with that is the game installation isn't giving me a config.sys to modify, otherwise I would copy the contents on the CD drive and modify the config.sys to read it from there instead of the CD (That's how I got a lot of problems fixed with Star Trek, A final Unity). Despite that, I tried copying the entire contents of the disc anyway and installing it from there, but the same problem happens. Any advice and help would be greatly apperciated.

Here's a screenshot of what the Dosbox status gives me and the screen that freezes up:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2472/25thtd1.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

post the complete mounting (the one you're using for the installation,
and the one you're using when running the game, which, by coincidence,
should be identical)

Reply 2 of 12, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you talking about this? mount C C:\Dos mount E E:\ -tcdrom

Reply 3 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the exact ones please

Reply 4 of 12, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for. Opening dosbox says this with regards to mounts:

Z:\>mount C C:\Dos
Z:\> mount E E:\ -tcdrom

and under doxbox.conf I have it set up here as:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C:\DOS
mount E E:\ -tcdrom

Reply 5 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

use -t cdrom instead of -tcdrom

Reply 6 of 12, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks, that did it.Got it work perfectly! I had absolutely no idea I made a simple little mistake like that!

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strangely, I'm seeing the same behavior, and I know I'm doing things correctly. The only difference is that I'm using a .ccd+.sub+.cue image file:

mount c c:\users\public\games
imgmount d c:\users\public\games\st25th.cue -t cdrom
d:
install

then follow the prompts, choices don't seem to matter; eventually it freezes with only the installer background wallpaper visible.

I forcefully closed DOSBox and re-launched it, and found that it seemed to have installled some files to the mounted c: drive. I re-mounted the CD image and launched the game and it worked fine, so I guess the installer got far enough before freezing to leave me with a viable install.

I did run the config util that was installed to the mounted hard drive to make sure the sound was configured correctly. I noticed that it was a text-based util instead of the graphical installer prompts, and that the sound card selection was totally different from that shown by the installer.

Edit: This was using 0.73 official release on Win7 x64 RC1, although I'm now playing it with Gulikoza's CVS build since the game uses MT-32 for music.

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should also mention that the drums in Munt during the intro music sound comically loud compared to the melodic instruments. I haven't noticed this in other games, and I'm not currently able to test with my real MT-32 to see if real hardware has the same imbalance.

Reply 9 of 12, by fluxit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The music on the non-cd version seems fine on a CM-64.

Reply 10 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the CD version with a real MT-32 and the sound seems balanced to me.

Dont know if this will help with your freezing issues but I always mount images as such:

imgmount d c:\users\public\games\st25th.cue -t iso -fs iso

Reply 11 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed 25th Anniversary yesterday without any problems using my CVS build. I used Daemon Tools mounted image. But I agree, MT32 volume is a bit low 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 12 of 12, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am curious, the CD Version of 25th Anniversary works great with MT-32, but Judgement Rites is messed up? At least, my copy is. My version of Judgement Rites won't upload the new patch banks to the MT-32 and just seems content with using the default instruments--and as a result sounds very weird and wrong.