VOGONS

First post, by BesterP12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those who don't know, many Sierra games supported three button mine. Whenever you click the middle mouse button, whatever icon was currently active would change to walk. Click it again, and it would change to whatever icon was used last. Growing up playing these games with three button mice, I've gotten used to this option and it really does help in moments that are timed. I can do something, walk, then do the thing again right away without having to right click to cycle back to it.

However, I can't seem to get this to work with DOSBOX right now. is there some setting I'm missing? The wheel button works just fine as the middle button in windows games that use one.

Last edited by BesterP12 on 2009-12-08, 05:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe DOSBox simulates the standard Microsoft 2-button mouse driver. I'm not sure if you can get 3-button support via another driver or if it's something that DOSBox's hardware emulation would need to support.

Having only 2-button support seems weird to me too since even my first 286 PC in 1987 had a 3-button Logitech mouse, and as you said Sierra games were among those that could take advantage of it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox emulates a 3 mouse button by default.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Clicking the scroll wheel on my mouse is recognized as the 3rd button in DOSBox. I tried King's Quest 5, and the 3rd button does cause the mouse pointer to revert to the walking icon. What OS are you having the problem with? Maybe there is an SDL issue on your platform...

Reply 4 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And also what games have you tried?

Reply 5 of 5, by BesterP12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 7 64bit with a Logitech mouse. I've tried it with the middle button set to "middle Button" "universal scroll" and "autoScroll" and with setpoint closed.

I've tried it with the Quest for Glory 1VGA, 3, and 4.

oh, I'm using gulikoza's build.

Edit Found it! It seems to work if I enable mouse lock. Annoying for when I run things in a window, but there we go.