VOGONS

First post, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a game, originally it is a Japenese PC98 game named "Graystone Saga Gaiden: The Dark Storm of Morza(グレイストンサーガ外伝 ~動乱の魔都~)", but it was released on Taiwan with a MS-DOS port(by Taiwanese publisher) and T-Chinese localizted, and it can runs on DOS.

Now I installed it with DOSBox 0.73, then I run it, but it looks like crashed.

http://sites.google.com/site/playerlin/GSE2_D … ?attredirects=0

(If I press "Pause" key quickly when this screen, DOSBox will crashed with some "illegal calls" message or "Reboot requested, quitting now." message, maybe some bugs happens, or that port just sucks. :p)

I own legal copy of it, so it should not some stupid cracked-exe problem.

http://sites.google.com/site/playerlin/gse2_f … ?attredirects=0
(The game files after installed, and the play.bat...)

(I installed MS-DOS 6.22 and the game in some VMs [VPC, VMware and VBox], only VMware works, but it's TOO FAST, I hate it. VPC and VBox can runs but the screen resolution in game just fucked up. 🙁 I don't tried runs game with Win98 on VMs because even it works but the speed problem may happens too.)

I'm damned sure it works on MS-DOS 6.22 because I was runs it on my old 486 and it works fine. *sigh*... I should "saved" it...

I checked the Compatibility DB, I found a entity for the first game of Graystone Saga(Graystone Saga: Demon's Fountain ; グレイストンサーガ ~魔界の泉), and it's for 0.60, just playable but not fully... there was T-Chinese version of it, I'm sure 0.63 or 0.65 should works too but those copies game I known were "illegal copy" of game, and I don't have the first game, so I don't care...

I know it's too hard to explain what's wrong because there isn't any error or something, the game just like "crashed"... and I sucked at debugging... 😦

I tried 0.63, 0.65, 0.70 and 0.72, both the same happens.. 🙁
Even I don't expect it will fixed but just try to report this, hope I don't out of luck... >_<
(And still sorry about my poor English.)

Attachment is my DOSBox.conf, maybe it still useless. 🙁

System Spec. :
CPU : AMD A64 X2 3600+ (2.0GHz)
Memory : A-DATA DDR2 800Mhz 1GB * 2
Display card : MSI NX8600GT-OC (256MB DDR2 Memory) 580MHz/800MHz (BIOS Version:60.84.51.00.17) Display driver verions: 195.62

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    9.95 KiB
    Downloads
    254 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm Player Lin, just a player. That's all.
an asshole fan of Dynasty/Flame Dragon Knights series.. 😜
MY GRAMMAR SUCKS, AND IT LIKE A DooM HELL... *self-exploded*

Reply 2 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

You could try to boot MS-DOS in DOSBox too.

But.. when I booted to MS-DOS, and can I still adjust the CPU Cycle and my mounted drives will disappears? How can I do to run the game?

Reply 3 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This works like VMware and others, with an image file. The mounted paths will be inaccessible, so copy the game on the image. The hotkeys for changing cycles will still work.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

This works like VMware and others, with an image file. The mounted paths will be inaccessible, so copy the game on the image. The hotkeys for changing cycles will still work.

I downloaded a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 ISO file, I use IMGMOUNT command to mount the image and try boot it.

---
Z:\>imgmount c C:\dos622.iso -t iso -fs iso
MSCDEX installed.
Drive C is mounted as C:\dos622.iso

Z:\>boot -l C
Unable to boot off of driver C
Z:\>
---

What did I wrong? 🙁

EDIT : I tried mount to A: but still the same, it unable to boot off.

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

an iso is a CD-Rom, I don't think Dosbox can boot off a CD-Rom yet. Get a bootable Dos floppy image (for example from freedos) and follow the guide at Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

an iso is a CD-Rom, I don't think Dosbox can boot off a CD-Rom yet. Get a bootable Dos floppy image (for example from freedos) and follow the guide at Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX

Thanks, I will try it... it looks like a little complicated. :p

Reply 8 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I get the image works, I can boot to MS-DOS 6.22 and put installed game files to inside...but only one big problem...

The CD-ROM doesn't work. Driver and MSCDEX said can't found any CD-ROMs...
So I still can't play the game. (I can't pass the CD check.)

Any idea?

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry we kind of missed that PC98 games come on a CD-Rom. You are out of luck. No CD-Rom support in booted dos, yet 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

sorry we kind of missed that PC98 games come on a CD-Rom. You are out of luck. No CD-Rom support in booted dos, yet 🙁

*facepalm*...... I hate this shit happens... maybe I should find some "illegel shit" to try... 😖

EDIT : Music on this game is on the CD, if no-CD then no-music, I still hate it... 🙁

Reply 12 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Anybody tried fakecd or similar in DOSBox? xD

shsucdhd would be the way to go, methinks. It would even provide the audio tracks, in theory.

Reply 13 of 13, by PlayerLin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed this problem by myself... and it ****ing like bullshit... :p

I renamed my game directory name to the default "GSE" and modified some game ini file(stored the game directory path data, if not modified, game still doesn't work with blackscreen because "(game's) file not found".) and now it works fine as like running on old machine.

Damn, I hate this shit happens...! *facepalm*
(So, case closed. 😦)