VOGONS

First post, by ryuken3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are pixels where there shouldn't be. Whenever the camera pans to the right or left, it creates large "trails". I can handle screen tearing but this takes me out of the experience. Changing the output mode did not remove the extra details.

below are two images that describe my problem
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ytf89&s=6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29y4kti&s=6

Last edited by ryuken3k on 2009-12-23, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've read that some gfx corruption can occur in the game unless you use machine=vesa_oldvbe, but that might refer to something more severe than the trail artifacts you're asking about.

Are you sure the artifacts don't occur on real hardware? Perhaps system performance is a factor: the game might trade off the artifacts for better framerate on slower systems (the emulation overhead limiting performance as it does).

Dunno about your other threads, but I'd guess this one was moved because you made it about DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are few possiblities that I can think of:

1) The scaler of DOSBox creates them. Try a different scaler (as the screenshots were pretty large)

2) Some bug in the CPU/FPU/VIDEO is causing it. try changing the cpu core to normal and dynamic to exclude
both the CPU/FPU

3) It is a bug of the game itself

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

4) Smacker video can produce artifacts when the CPU speed is too low (even on real hardware)

I don't really see anything wrong on the pictures tough. Their faces don't look better. The 6-bit LCD D/A conversion might add to the effect.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Right, i can second Hal's experience, on slow PCs the graphics "corruption"
(ie. Smacker performing optimizations to keep the framerate introducing
artefacting) may be much worse than what's posted in the pictures.

Reply 9 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FMV's are pretty intensive. If there's an option to use low-res videos or to reduce video size then you can try that.

Most of the reviews I see for people playing the game say the game runs fine on P2's but the game running in DOSBox is nowhere near that level with your processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 23, by ryuken3k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what Dosfreak's advice entails. So should I run it on a computer with slower CPU or faster CPU? I ran the game with low-res video settings. Still doesn't work.

I don't want to take out my clunky P2 computer because it smells like weed and contains a shit load of viruses I have yet to disinfect.

Reply 15 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if it is caused by the smacker videos then it won't be fixed as it isn't a bug of dosbox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!