VOGONS

First post, by winebaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, DOSBox forum!

I have a problem with my copy of Darkseed. I read on the forum that my problem may have something to do with using an illegally zipped copy of the game. However, I'm using the files off of the actual Darkseed CD (the game says it's version 1.5p).

The intro will work great but the game displays garbled, scrambled visual snow whenever TOS.exe is used. I can't get past this annoyance. I know that the CD worked when I had the real DOS on my computer years back, so I don't understand how this could be happening now with DOSBox 0.73.

I disabled the read-only status on all the files (that little bug I do remember), I changed the config file to use ds.bat instead of having to type TOS whenever the screen went black, I've edited the properties of the .exe files (start, tos, binmod, ds.bat) to reflect DOS settings, and I've tried compatibility modes and still nothing. I've done this in both WinXP and in Vista. Is there something I'm missing?

Can someone suggest a course of action? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
winebaron

Reply 4 of 11, by winebaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Sorry for my inexperience with DOSBox, but I've figured out how to play the game now -- I used the command "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" to play it off the CD-ROM. However, I cannot seem to get it to play strictly off of my computer, even if I install it onto my faux C: drive. The TOS.exe file problem keeps occurring.

I had used "mount c c:\darkseed" (because I can't seem to type "\" and Vista is sometimes a pain with the [x86] folders) and copied all of the files from the CD onto this drive; I also got this config edit from another site to have the config file automatically go:

mount c c:\darkseed
c:
cd darkseed
ds

I believe that I also tried installing the game through the CD-ROM onto my C: drive but that TOS.exe error keeps happening. I'm tired of seeing pixelated snow!

I'd prefer to play Darkseed on my C: drive instead of the CD-ROM, so any suggestions? I don't believe that the CD was required even if I fully installed the program onto my computer, but that was long ago. My recollection may be wrong.

Thanks,
winebaron

Reply 5 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are you repeating what Qbix asked?

Qbix asked how he did it. I asked if he did it at all.

copied all of the files from the CD onto this drive

That is not installing.

I'd prefer to play Darkseed on my C: drive instead of the CD-ROM, so any suggestions?

Suppose you have a folder C:\DOS\GAMES

mount C C:\DOS\GAMES
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
D:
INSTALL

If that doesn't help post the settings you're using with a screenshot (Ctrl-F5) to see if we can reproduce the problem on another copy.

Reply 7 of 11, by winebaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that every time I install the game, it doesn't fully install everything onto my hard drive. It only installs the following files:

binmod.exe
tos.exe
start.exe
tostext.bin
ds.bat
cdletter (open w/notepad, just one letter shown to designate cd-rom drive)
prefs
restart.sav
two file versions of the same readme file

It doesn't install any of the sounds, art, or other aspects of the game. Maybe I'm wrong and there is no way to install it fully. Bummer.

I suppose I couldn't "mount d" as a separate folder within my hard drive with all of the relevant files, right? That would be too easy.

I'll continue to try. If I have problems, I'll post screenshots.

Thanks,
winebaron

Reply 9 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install is an exe.
Those are all the files I have installed as well. The rest is read from the CD.

You can mount a folder as a CDROM if you wish.
Suppose you copy the contents of the disc to C:\DOS\CDROM
mount D C:\DOS\CDROM -t cdrom
Personally I run my games from an ISO image or BIN/CUE set.

Since the game is running the files are being retrieved from the CD. Check the condition of the CD to see if there are any defects that might cause them to not be read correctly.

Reply 10 of 11, by winebaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, install is indeed an .exe file. DS.bat only contains the following game info if you try to edit it:

@echo off
echo Dark Seed version 1.51
if "%1" == "/m" goto menu
if "%1" == "/M" goto menu
start I
if errorlevel 1 goto end
goto :loop
:menu
start %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end
:loop
tos
if errorlevel 2 goto end
start
if errorlevel 1 goto end
goto loop
:end

It doesn't appear to be relevant to my problem.

I checked the physical CD for scratches and whatnot but I didn't see anything that would be cause for concern. Could it be that I have a different or earlier version than everyone else? According to the intro, my copy is 1.5P but when I try to edit certain files, like the ds.bat file, it lists it as 1.51. Split personality, maybe? My friend also owns the CD (but has misplaced it), so I'm tempted to help him find his and see if there are other versions floating around.

I guess I should have asked before but did anyone else own a CD copy of Darkseed and did it ever run strictly off of C:? Were you given the option to fully install it onto your hard drive, or did it only install the 10 files I listed?

Anyway, I may try an ISO image or BIN/CUE set if the workaround Skard listed doesn't work for some reason. I'll read up on that so that I can ask questions that won't make me sound so newbie. Or waste anyone's time. You've all been most patient with me!

At least I can now laugh at Windows' attempt to silence all the great Darkseed sound files, starting with Windows 95. All it ever did was give us the same TOS file problem whenever we tried running Darkseed off of it. We've always regretted upgrading because of it. Thanks to DOSBox for making it possible to play this again.

Thanks for all your help,
winebaron

Reply 11 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I stated above, when installing from my copy only those files were placed on C. I also have the game on 3.5" disk but I think it's an earlier version.

I would not call it a work around as I don't expect it to fix anything. You asked if it could be done and I explained it could. If the files on the CD are somehow corrupt then they will be copied that way as well.