VOGONS

First post, by TFHiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, using everything I can possibly think of, I can't get the auto AND the voices to work at the same time. when I tried combining both, BOTH don't work.

I want to play this great game but the essence of the game is lost without the voice acting and the music of the game playing together.

Also, the speed at which the battles go by is way too fast and is near impossible to work with.

Can anyone HELP ME!?

Reply 1 of 28, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reduce the cycles, it will most likely fix both of your issues.

core=normal
cycles=8000-12000 (My guess, I haven't tried in awhile)

Then in the Quest for Glory install set the music to "Sound Blaster / Adlib and compatibles" and set the speech to just "Sound Blaster" and it should be fine.

If you need more cycles for battle speed and find you are having script issues (Oops messages or crashes) then try this -

http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/qfg4cd.zip

It's a patch to fix any script problems. However if you use the correct amount of cycles you should be able to get it running without needing it.

Reply 2 of 28, by TFHiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give it a shot when I get the chance. if this doesn't work, what do I do then?

I'm currently running Windows XP, but I don't think that should matter if I D/L the game FROM the CD and alter the dosbox files to correspond with this game, right?

Reply 3 of 28, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No....assuming you set it up correctly. Did you create an image of the disc or just copy the essential files over and edit the config file?

Remember that sierra games hardcode the config file with your cd-rom drive's letter. If you installed from D:\ then you better make sure dosbox mounts D: as the folder with the CD-ROM's files.

What do you mean by "can't" anyway? Are you disabling one or the other in the install?

Reply 4 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are playing the game from the HDD, be sure to set paths in your RESOURCE.CFG to point to itself with ".\"

resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 28, by TFHiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if I mount and run the game FROm the CD itself, where should I extract the patcher to?

EDIT: I tried running it off my HDD after downloading the files and downloading the patcher. the music comes up glitchy, the text boxes move lightning fast, and no speech is heard.

I'm not sure what to do to run it off the CD itself. Currently trying to literally copy all the files OFF the CD, setting them into a folder in my HDD, then setting the patch files inside the folders there.

Also, how do I reset the path files in my CFG file?

Reply 9 of 28, by TFHiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I download the game STRAIGHT off the CD using the MS-DOS way, I get sketchy VOICE audio but no music.

I cannot select SoundBlaster Pro from the setup/install list because it states my computer doesn't have it (or it can't locate it). If I could figure out how to GET SBPro, then I think the problem is solved.

EDIT: If I run the program to start the game through just windows, I get the voice (although somewhat glitchy) but no music. Battle enemies are lightning fast. If I run it through DoSbox, I get music, but fast scrolling text, no voice audio, battles are normal.

If I can somehow get it all together ON Dosbox, it's perfect.

Reply 10 of 28, by TFHiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could it be that DosBox is supporting the SoundBlaster PRO but when it comes to the AUDIO part it's not accepting the SoundBlaster somehow?

For MUSIC options in INSTALL, I get the following options
ANYTHING with an X before the name means my system "supports" it
X Roland MT-32, MT-100, LAPC-I, CM-32L, or CM-64
X General MIDI Sound Driver
Pro Audio Spectrum
X SoundBlaster Pro
Microsoft Windows Sound System
X Sound Blaster / AdLib Card (or compatibles)
X IBM PC or Compatible Internal Speaker
X No Music Card

For AUDIO Options in INSTALL, I get the following options

Pro Audio Spectrum
Pro Audio Spectrum 16
Microsoft Windows Sound System
X Sound Blaster
X Thunderboard
X No Audio/Voice Card

Maybe DosBox is interfering with SoundBlaster or something...

Reply 11 of 28, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox works fine
the problem is really in the resource.cfg
I don't know what specificly but I do know in which part the problem must be searched

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Create a folder on your harddrive for the game and in it, copy the PATCHES folder and the files:

SINST.EXE or INSTALL.EXE (depending on what version of the game you have)
65535.MAP
FLYTHRU.SEQ
INSTALL.HLP
INSTALL.SCR
INSTALL.TXT
RESOURCE.000
RESOURCE.AUD
RESOURCE.CFG
RESOURCE.MAP
RESOURCE.SFX
SIERRA.ERR
SIERRA.EXE
SIERRA.INF
SIERRAW.ICO
VERSION

and all *.DRV files.

Unzip the NewRisinSun QfG4 patch into the PATCHES folder.

Edit your RESOURCE.CFG to:

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = .\
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k

Start the game in DOSBox with SIERRA.EXE, using normal core and around 8000 cycles and the rest of the dosbox.conf settings at defaults.

Reply 14 of 28, by Omegakai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys i realize this is a bit old, and im a novice at alot of the above.
and i know this isnt really the place but after i install qfq4 from an iso it runs fine with sound and voice, but it cliches out and wont run and full screen.
any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Reply 17 of 28, by Ellie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I'm new to this, sorry. I have been having similar difficulties and followed all of the above steps but am having to do it on my laptop, there are two files for me which are different, these are resource.aud which I don't have on the disc and install.exe or sinst.exe instead I have install.bat so I copied that over. Please help as I don't want to end up with no audio on the game

Reply 18 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which version do you have? Do you have the extensions hidden for known file types? Do you see any files called resource, sinst or install without an extension? Without the resource.aud you will not have speech.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 19 of 28, by Ghilz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did just that, and now the game wont run at all. I get an error message

Error 46: Can't load class 49.

EDIT: Tried again, this time I get:

Error 99: Error Loading Resource 999.pal
..\restype.cpp(55)

Running on vista home 32 bit. Mounted the directory in which sierra/QFG4 is (where Ive put the files) files come from the original QfG4 CD

As previously mentioned, the cycle's been set to 8000 and normal.

Last edited by Ghilz on 2010-02-16, 23:04. Edited 3 times in total.