VOGONS

POP Shadow and the Flame on XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am studying some much older games and wanted to study the Prince of Persia the Shadow and the Flame on my XP machine...i was able to get it to run with just running the Prince.exe and got the voice and the in game sound effects but not the music. When i clicked with the Run with VDMS optoin i got music and just the first sentence of the voice but then a black screen and no more game running, just frozen screen.

Anyone have any luck running this classic on XP? i have SP2, and an older FX 5500 vid card and just the on board integrated sound.

any suggestions most welcome.

i see others who have had trouble with POP Sand F have been suggested DOSBOX...if anyone has had luck with that, can they give me the suggested settings or any special command liines? I have to re learn DOSBOX each time i try to use it....

i saw this:

col_kurtz Newbie […]
Show full quote

col_kurtz

I'm running Prince of Persia 2 Shadow and the Flame. I've tried multiple versions of the game and I tried old dosbox versions.

It keeps skipping cutscenes, specifically the flying rug and the horse scenes just skip over.

There's a pause and then it goes back to the game.

Anyone seen this, know how to fix?

I have tried multiple CPU cycle settings too.

thx.

Re: Prince of Persia 2 DOSBOX 0.72 - Skips Cutscenes :: 2008-7-08 @ 10:10 am
wd
DOSBox Author

Think it happens randomly, maybe try using loadfix before starting the game.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/

Reply 3 of 9, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted this in the PC sectoin because i am playing it on a PC and hoped for help with that. I reallixe POP is a dos game but we try to run these on modern systems now mostly.

I had the files installed on my computer completely as the CD was old and damaaged and near extinction...and i wanted to preserve it. So i am using a complete set of POP S and F files that are on my computer on the C drive, i dont like to use the My Games folder gambit as i like to have the game completely in the format and install location that the original installation would put it for authenticity, ie the C drive in this case.

So the instructions on that incredibly complex DOS Box set up post are not applicable. I may try a front end as i find it increasingly a challkenge to re learn all the Dox box code each time i want to try to run an older game. I will study it again, but was hoping someone could or had already found the right entries for DoxBox to get POP to run

I did get it to run in Dox Box last night and the music and the voice over both play in the intro, but the in game sounds are far below what is prsent in VDMS sound. There are sound effects for each time either the player or a foe fall from the ledge in the openiong scene, and DoxBox was playing maybe 1 time for these out of 10, and the other sound effects of running and fighitnig were not playing at all. That maybe beecause the game is running fast, but again VDMS ran the game at normal speed and with all the sound and speech..it just did not play the music.

I will keep working on this when i have time but if anyone has had luck with setting this game up to get all the in game sounds to play i would appreciate it. I have seen others have not had luck getting the in game vids to play which run between levels and those are some of the finest artistry of this fine game.

thanks for any help and for the links provided already.

Admin

Reply 4 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

get the latest dosbox.

and just:

mount c c:\
c:

and add that to [autoexec] section of dosbox configuration file so that it is done everytime you start dosbox, and it looks exactly like on your old computer.

for sound you have to run game's setup and configure everything properly like in old times.

killed guards make a long scream when they fall down the roof, if they are killed on the roof without falling down they don't scream.

Reply 5 of 9, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thank you very much, that is just what i needed. I get a bit frustrated at times but i know DoxBox really does pretty well.

Yep, the guards who die without falling dont scream but when i set it up in DosBox last night, the ones who fell were not making any sound and my own character..the prince. was only screaming the first time he fell and after that nothing..i tried running it in VDMS and confirmed what i remembered from when i played it years ago on a native DOS system, there were lots of in game sound effects....

thanks again for the help. I will try again this evening. I really apppreciate the help.

Admin

Reply 6 of 9, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got the Autoexc lines in there,

i did run the sound set up in the game files and picked Sound Blaseter Pro for both the sound and the music..is there a better choice? I dont have a sound card in this computer, just the built in sound for an old Pentium III....that may be part of the problem. My regular comptuer is at the doctor and it has the Audigy 2ZS

hope this will work . 😀

Admin

Reply 8 of 9, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thank you very much i will try that, and i do appreciate very much your help, really is nice.

thanks again.

Admin

Reply 9 of 9, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And that worked perfectly both the music AND all the speech and the in games sound effects: conbat sounds, falling splats, and all, work well..with SoundBlaster Pro for the sound and General MIDI for the music, thanks so much that really helped.

Now i just have to regain all my lost skills at directing the Prince 😀

Admin