VOGONS

First post, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone my name is Dimitris and i'm from Greece. I'm 22 and well i love oldies and discovering buried by time adventure games.

I'm quite new to DosBox and i must admit that i'm impressed. I bought a new laptop 3 days ago with windows 7 on it, and when i tried to load games with VDMSound it just wouldn't work anymore. So i searched on the net and found DosBox. The first thing that impressed me is that for many games (like Karateka) it makes you choose what platform you want (I first played it on a Hercules 😁). I also tried to play Blood and at first i was furious with DosBox cause it didn't have any sound whereas VDMSound fixed that automatically, but i played with the Sound Settings a bit on the Setmain.EXE and made it work.

Anyway, the main reason i registered here is to solve some problems i have with some games.

Problem #1 (Huge Problem)

When i tried to play Double Dragon today on Hercules 4 colours and the VEGA (16 Colours) it was speeding like hell. On Hercules the pace was double from the start and you could barely see stuff on the screen and on 16 colours the speed was even faster.
I Know you can hit Ctrl + F11 / F12 to decrease/increase the Processor Cycles but it didn't seem to work. From 3000 Cycles it diminished to 1094 or something and then to 4000 (all this in just a few seconds) but nothing happened.
Other Games the speed is not right :
Alone In The Dark 2 - A bit Slower (when it changes screens it loads more than it should).
Lotus 3 - Faster Than It Should
Crazy Cars 3 - Slower Than It Should

Always happens

Problem #2 :

When i tried to load Titus The Fox...well when i typed Titus on DosBox it just changed line and nothing happenned. After that you weren't able to type a thing, cause it seemed like it was loading, but it just wasn't. ANy Ideas ? Always happens

Problem #3 :

I also tried to play Alone In The Dark 3, and it just showed the first Infogrames Screen and then it stuck. Always happens

Final Problem :

On some games (like Prince OF Persia 2 : The Shadow And The Flame) i want to fix the sound so it won't come from the PC Speaker, but the sound card. Always happens

That's irrelevant, i know, but i want to say that after 17 years i found and played a game that was searching till then. Hugo 3 : The Jungle Of Doom!

Thank you very much for reading.

EDIT: Yeap! I forgot to mention some information about this pc.

Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @1.60GHz
RAM : 1GigaByte
Shitty Laptop that's given especially to those who make Mobile Internet Connections. No Graphics Card i guess. info about the motherboard are lacking also.

And for the record i'm using DosBox 0.74

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard.

First of all, putting so many games on a single thread is quite useless.

As for your problems, I assume you have read the readme file and some guides. You should post your mountings (one thread for one game - search forum first).

As for the speed thing, you will have to keep experimenting with cycles/core until you get satisfactory results.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i'll experiment... But is it harmful for the processor when i adjust those cycles from one edge to the other at such short time?

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox its processor doesn't care (much).
yours is hopefully not near maxed out at 4000 cycles 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 11, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok Thanks! I Fixed the first problem (kinda) which was kind of disturbing. And it was simple. Now for the other 3...

Reply 5 of 11, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On some games (like Prince OF Persia 2 : The Shadow And The Flame) i want to fix the sound so it won't come from the PC Speaker, but the sound card.

Run the sound setup utility to configure your emulated audio equipment; setup.exe (SB/220/7/1)

Alone in the Dark3 has an install.exe for that purpose.

Reply 6 of 11, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! The sound problem on Prince Of Persia 2 is fixed now. I Don't know how or why i forgot to check for this file. Anyway, it sounds a thousand times better now.

Also checked the INSTALL.EXE of AITD3 but it only "updates" the game. i have to examine thoroughly the options there though.

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is an options button on the AITD3 install program, you go there, press the "hardware options" button, adjust the soundcard (I recommend the "Soundblaster No DMA" if available in aitd3) then leave those menus and click "update" to save your settings

welcome btw 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK here's the thing in Alone In The Dark 3 Install.EXE:

I can only change the Sound Card options (it has 3 choices : No Sound, Sound Blaster and one more) but no matter what i choose and then click UPDATE although it says the update was successful, on the Status window of DOSBOX it says :

Warning : File Creation Failed c:games\alone3\install.opt
Warning : File Creation Failed c:games\alone3\indark3.cfg

then i type aitd3 to play and when i hit enter on the first screen (which shows the guys that cracked the game) it gives me :

Warning : File Creation Failed c:games\alone3\valid.id

and then it shows the screen with the INFOGRAMES mouse and freezes...

This is exactly what happens in Titus The Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEF9f8T8rQ

Reply 9 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nuke your alone in the dark installation and install it anew from within dosbox. If it still doesn't work then give us your mountings.
If you have an abandonware copy then there you have the source of your problem...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 11, by Epitaph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I deleted the whole Alone In The Dark 3 folder and re-extracted the contents of the downloaded abandonware. I put the folder on C:\Games and then i ran DOsBox and the install file. Same thing happened..
I don't know if it's an abandonware copy...what do you exactly mean by that? If you mean that it's downloaded from an abandonware site, then yes it is. IT's not an ISO or a IMG. It's just all the files put in a rar file. I guess then it IS a copy and i should try and find an ISO right?
how can i post my mountings?

As for Titus The Fox my memory is kinda blurry but i remember back in 2002-2003 when i first found out about abandonware games, some games like Karateka and (i think) Titus The Fox weren't playing in Windows XP (if they were on C Disk) and i had to copy all the files into a floppy disk, in order to play them. I should try that ...

Reply 11 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you mean that it's downloaded from an abandonware site, then yes it is.

This is illegal unless the copyright holder released its rights.