VOGONS

Old time games are great

Topic actions

First post, by oldtimegamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like the xmen

Last edited by oldtimegamer on 2011-02-23, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mount A A:\ -t floppy ?

You might also try making an image of the floppy itself then attempt to mount the image instead.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What exactly are you typing in DOSBox? Do you use "-t floppy" when mounting the disk? (Nothing running in DOSBox is going to care if the files it is trying to access are actually on a floppy according to Windows.)

EDIT: ooh, skillfully ninja'd.

Reply 3 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar issue with Hyperspeed and had to install it through Windows before mounting it in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 9, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seem to remember that X-Men also requires the cputype=386_prefetch option to be set in the configuration, otherwise the game will crash.
It might be related somehow.

Reply 5 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oldtimegamer wrote:

I just bought a vintage 3.5 inch floppy disk game. The game is copy protected.

Is it on a 1.44 MB floppy disk drive?
Which is the only floppy format supported for USB floppy drives (this is a hardware related, not DOSBox related problem).
Such drives can't handle the 720 kB floppy disks.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on the game it might not be possible without a crack. The copy protection that Sierra used for some of their AGI games faked "bad" sectors to hide some of the copy protection. I can't say if similar might be the issue with X-Men: Madness in Murderworld.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
IIGS_User wrote:

Is it on a 1.44 MB floppy disk drive?
Which is the only floppy format supported for USB floppy drives (this is a hardware related, not DOSBox related problem).
Such drives can't handle the 720 kB floppy disks.

I am quite sure you are mistaken. I have never heard of a floppy drive being unable to support 720 kB disks. (The only such hardware limitation I am familiar with is that PC floppy drives cannot read 800 kB Macintosh disks, or Amiga floppies.)

Reply 8 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember my old ibm ps/1 had a floppy reader who was able to format 720kb floppies (with 1 hole) as 1.4mb. The newest floppy drivers cannot read 720kb formatted as HD (I had to create the hole myself back in the past). And probably they cannot read hd floppies formatted as 720kb too.

Reply 9 of 9, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:

I remember my old ibm ps/1 had a floppy reader who was able to format 720kb floppies (with 1 hole) as 1.4mb. The newest floppy drivers cannot read 720kb formatted as HD (I had to create the hole myself back in the past). And probably they cannot read hd floppies formatted as 720kb too.

It's plainly a very, very bad idea to format HD floppies as DD, or vice versa. And it always was a bad idea. Can you spell data loss?

tearex