VOGONS

First post, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox 0.74 + WfW 3.11, machine=svga_s3, windows SVGA and SB16 drivers are installed.
My own retail "Achting: Spitfire" cd is mounted (with "mount d j:\ -t cdrom").
The result - the game is installed, but not running. "Achtung Spitfire was not able to locate the CD-ROM..."
"mount d j:\ -t cdrom -label ACHTSPIT" - the same error.
Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did you install the game from within Dosbox/windows 3.x? If you just took an old WFW3.11 installation the game might point to another CD-ROM location.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Within.
By the way, where is AS settings stored? There is no .ini in windows directory...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hmm, then I can only recommend trying a bin/cue image instead of the real CD (which is most of the times better anyway, since it keeps the noise down).

I don't have the game, so I can't help you specifically. Just troubleshooting what might be culprits. Don't know where the settings are stored, an ini in the Windows dir is the obvious one, but it could be in the games directory, or it just uses a non-obvious filename or adds its settings to an existing ini...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... I created a .iso from my cd, then tried imgmount command. The game started.
So, case closed...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

also out of interest, what is your operating system? Also in the Readme the section about CDRpm Troubleshooting might be of use to figure out where it goes wrong (btw. the Readme there alos mentions the bin/cue image trick 😀)
CD-ROM: My CD-ROM doesn't work.

Reply 7 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have dualboot XpSp3 / Me system.
WfW 3.11 was installed as dos application within dosbox.

wd wrote:

What label does win3x display when it's working, and what label when it isn't?

1) WfW file manager do not show cd drives volume labels. WtF? See attachment...
2) With "mount d -t cdrom" and with "imgmount d d:\achtspit.iso -t cdrom" the d label is ACHTSPIT. NC 5.0 was used as viewer, because vol is not supported, and DOS 5.0 label.exe do not work with cds or network drives...
So, WfW dos prompt, nc, alt+F1, d, ctrl+l. ACHTSPIT. Exit.
Still no label for d in file manager...
But game still run only if imgmount was used...
3) Strange, but if ctrl+F4 or rescan command was used - the c label is set from C_DRIVE to my real hdd label (GRBDATA). Even in the pure DosBox, w/o WfW.

So, looks like the trouble is not label related.
And something is very wrong with RESCAN command.

Attachments

• ACHTSPIT.JPG
    Filename
    ACHTSPIT.JPG
    File size
    40.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setting volume label as C_DRIVE is intended. LABEL command basically does not exist in DOSBox.
Some enhanced SVN builds might include some fixes to disk label. http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds