VOGONS

First post, by Niels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to install a application which is called "snelstart" under dosbox version 0.74.
My operation system is windows 7

(Snelstart is a administrative program which works under ms-dos, I also work with it under windows-xp)

I get the start menu of the application, but when I want to start the real application I get the message that share.exe is not loaded, and that c:\share.exe will be added to the autoexec.bat file.

So I started up my old dos computer en got the file share.exe and put it in the dosbox.conf file. When I start dosbox I get the message that share.exe is the wrong version.

Does anybody know which version I have to use to make it work or does anybody has a workaround for this problem?

Thanx,

Niels

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Share does NOT work on Dosbox, regardless of the version you set (you can change reported Dos version in Dosbox via ver command). It only works if you use a hard drive image and you boot from within Dosbox from that.
OR you can use fakeshar I link to in Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide (I put it there but the program is not by me), but be aware that this only FAKES share. Meaning a program looking whether share is loaded will not complain anymore. But if that program actually makes use of share the outcome is unclear. So use with care.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... I use DosBox 0.74.
Msdos 5.0 share.exe print "SHARE installed" after run.
I doing something wrong?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no you are not doing something wrong, but you could just not load share since it doesn't do anything in Dosbox and programs looking for it will probably report an error (all office like programs on Windows 3.1x will have this problem).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, tested with MS Office 4.3 - even with "Share installed" Word, Excel etc were not started.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

as I wrote and has been written in this forum a number of times...

Reply 6 of 8, by Niels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the answer. I have downloaded fakeshar and used it. But my application still gives the same error.

When I start dosbox the share emulator is loaded (shareemulator V 1.1), but when I start "snelstart" it still gives the error that share.exe is not loaded. I only use dos under dosbox, not windows 3.xx.

Is there another solution besided starting up from a drive imige within dosbox?

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

nope, not AFAIK