VOGONS

First post, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed a problem with running the Xargon Trilogy.

While I can start Xargon 1 by running "XRFILE01.EXE" directly, I'm unable to get the Xargon episode selector, which appears to be launched via the "xargon.bat" file with the command "xrfile04.exe xargon". It just seems to output a few blank lines and then drop back to the command prompt.

I see similar behavior both from the official .74 release as well as from ykhwong's builds. The ykhwong builds are slightly different as they output more blank lines than the .74 release.

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It works fine here. XARGON.BAT runs XRFILE00.BAT, which in turn runs XRFILE04.EXE (the menu) and XRFILE05.BAT after that. XRFILE04.EXE creates/modifies XRFILE05.BAT to run the selected episode and run XRFILE00.BAT after that, thus looping back to the XRFILE04.EXE menu.

You didn't mention XRFILE00.BAT, which is a necessary part of the batch loop. Please post the contents of your batch files for comparison.

Reply 2 of 7, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It works fine here. XARGON.BAT runs XRFILE00.BAT, which in turn runs XRFILE04.EXE (the menu) and XRFILE05.BAT after that. XRFILE04.EXE creates/modifies XRFILE05.BAT to run the selected episode and run XRFILE00.BAT after that, thus looping back to the XRFILE04.EXE menu.

You didn't mention XRFILE00.BAT, which is a necessary part of the batch loop. Please post the contents of your batch files for comparison.

OK, let's see...

XARGON.BAT:
@echo off
cls
xrfile00 %1 %2 %3

XRFILE00.BAT:
@echo off
xrfile04 xargon %1
xrfile05 %1 %2 %3

XRFILE04.BAT:
@echo off
xrfile04 xargon %1
xrfile05 %1 %2 %3

XRFILE05.BAT:
@echo off

There are xrfile01.exe, xrfile02.exe, xrfile03.exe, xrfile04.exe executables as well.

Reply 3 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They appear to be the same. I used DOSBox 0.74, default settings, installed from the CD to C:\XARGON (the default), and the episode selection works. I can run all three episodes after executing XARGON.BAT, and after quitting they loop back to the menu.

Are you using non-default settings or installing differently?

It occurs to me there would be a problem if XRFILE05.BAT could not be created or overwritten. I tried making the file read-only as a test, but XRFILE04.EXE gives a runtime error in that case, not the same as what you describe.

Reply 4 of 7, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, this issue seems limited to ykhwong's patched revision. I could have sworn I tried an unpatched .74 rev before posting this, but I must be mistaken about that.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 5 of 7, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, this code breaks the game in my build. I will have to get rid of it.

shell_batch.cpp

@@ -40,6 +41,8 @@
DOS_CloseFile(file_handle);
shell->bf=prev;
shell->echo=echo;
+ Bit16u n=1; Bit8u c='\n';
+ DOS_WriteFile(STDOUT,&c,&n);
}

bool BatchFile::ReadLine(char * line) {