VOGONS

First post, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Odd problem with Nascar Racing 2..

When I attempt to run the game, it says "Unable to find nascar2.exe in ' ' ." .. Or if trying to run setup it says "Unable to find setup.exe in ' ' ." .. On a fresh installation, this message does not come up and the game runs fine, but every time after that, the message does appear and the game won't run..

This happens with both the minimum and full installations. I've tried installing/uninstalling several times with the same result every time. I've seen this same issue mentioned in various forums, but there was never a solution.. Any idea what's going on here?

Reply 5 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
resin wrote:

Yes I know how to setup games with DOSBox.

You apparently don't know how to do it correctly, and following the guide would likely have solved your "problem", because it does not instruct you to mount the game folder directly.

Even if some games let you get away with it, mounting the game folder directly is always incorrect. Doing it that way the game sees itself as running from the root directory, and how many games do you know of that are installed in the root?

Reply 6 of 7, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well out of the several hundred games I've setup with DOSBox this is the only one that has had this problem, and all were mounted directly. And you might want to check again because the example shown there does say to mount the game folder directly as c:

[autoexec] mount C "C:\Users\your-user-name\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGame" mount D "D:\" -t cdrom C: […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Users\your-user-name\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
mount D "D:\" -t cdrom
C:

That's exactly how I've always done it.. But with this particular game, I had to put the game files inside a subfolder within the initially mounted folder and add additional commands to the conf like this..

mount C "C:\Users\your-user-name\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"
mount D "D:\" -t cdrom
C:
cd subfolder
game.exe

That's the only way this particular game will read the files correctly. I don't know if you misunderstood me before or what, but no need for the hostility either way.

Reply 7 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there was no hostility.
Anyway you actually found a bug in the guide:
it should be:

Use the cd name-of-folder command to move into a folder (also known as a <DIR>ectory), and cd .. to move out again. In each folder, do a dir /w until you see the MyGame.Exe / MyGame.Bat file. Now start it with:

C:\name-of-folder>MyGame