VOGONS

First post, by sierranut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the past several years I have slowly added to my games list in Dfend. These are mostly Sierra and Dynamix games, although I have some Lucas Arts games there too. Because I use the Roland MT-32 for music, there is a little configuration for each of these games. The point it, I've got a lot of time invested in installing/configuring this setup.

I'm trying to move it from a Win XP environment to Win 7 64 bit. I've tried moving everything enmasse, but Dfend doesn't see my games list in the VirtualHD dir, nor does it see the game manuals, Icon Library in their respective dir's either.

I tried using the "Transfer Programs" option, using a hi capacity thumb drive, and everything seems to copy over intact. However, when I get to the new machine and try to run off the thumb drive, I get path error messages.

What am I missing? Why does Dfend no longer "see" the games, manuals, etc in the new machine, even though the dir's are set up the same?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 4, by sierranut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply and tip. I have it working now, but I have NO IDEA how. On the old system, D-fend is in C:\Programs\D-Fend Reloaded. VirtualHD, both Basefolders and the Additional data folders are all subdirs of \D-fend.

Not only is it setup that way, but that is how the Program settings - General - Directories (that you spoke of) show it.

I did that EXACT setup on the new machine, with the same Directories setup, but no go. I noticed though that UNLIKE on the Win XP box, D-Fend loaded itself in 2 places on the Win 7 box.
C:\Program Files\D-Fend Reloaded
and
C:\Users\My name\D-Fend Reloaded

The XP box had D-Fend in my user file, but it was only a shortcut, referenced back to the C:\Program Files dir.
The Win 7 box has no shortcuts. It's in both places.

So... I filled up the VirtualHD folder in C:\Users\My name\D-Fend Reloaded with all of the games, and viola! There it is!

WHY? no clue. Just out of curiosity, I would like to know.

Thanks for your help though.

Reply 3 of 4, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, D-Fend Reloaded's default paths annoy me (then again, a lot of things do) and I'm not quite familiar with them, but...if you were running it from program files expecting it to find your data magically on your USB...it wasn't going to happen...at all, hence when you filled the data where the program expected it... there are your games/profiles again.
Then, there's also the fact that, if you changed from an x32 to an x64 OS, D-Fend, being a 32 bit app, installed to program files (x86) (if their installer keeps to Windows convention), or, at least, it should: I don't use an installer for it: I find it pointless.

Reply 4 of 4, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This doesn't answer your question, but I can highly recommend to use D-Fend in relative paths mode to avoid future problems.

Might take some time to convert your setup, but it's worth it. I use a folder (D:\Oldgames in my case) with everything related to old games including all needed programs. Inside that folder I only use relative paths for everything whereever possible. Including various batch files and D-Fend.

Once done, a setup of this kind allows you to simply copy this folder to other machines and everything still works perfectly.