VOGONS

First post, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Couple issues with WC1..

First, Each time I start a new campaign (normal or Secret Missions) my ship suddenly crashes after about 2-3 secs into the mision. In these 2-3 secs, I can control the ship as normal, shoot, etc., then it just explodes out of nowhere. This happens every time no matter what I do. Once this happens and it takes me to the bar, I can then start the next mission with no problems..

Second, when in the bar or barracks the mouse speed runs really sluggish, but when in combat the speed is fine. So when I turn mouse sensitivity up to where its not sluggish in barracks then it will be too fast for combat..

These issues have been mentioned in various forums but never are resolved. I'm running the game with the default conf settings. Besides these two issues, everything runs as normal (speed, sound, etc.). I've tried changing to each core and have set cyles to several different values with no success. Anyone have any other ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that strike commander had a nasty issue with some cracks: ii didn't get past 20% power. Could it be some issue with a crack? Are you using a craked or a legal version?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Erm... the exploding ship is quite normal: that's the combat simulator, and you're supposed to enter your name and callsign, befire the "real" game starts. 😉

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 4, by resin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the real version. I realize now the explosion is normal. Its been a long time.. The mouse sensitivity is still an issue though. From what I've read, apparently this sluggishness didn't occur in older versions of DOSBox.. Will a joystick behave the same way as the mouse, as far as the sluggishness? I plan on hooking one up eventually..

Reply 4 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The mouse was less sluggish in 0.65, but still somewhat erratic in non-flight screens. The different behavior in subsequent releases appears to be caused by a change in vertical retrace timing (revision 2781). The game rejects (repositions to previous coordinates) mouse movement that occurs while it is waiting for retrace in its mouse pointer drawing routine, so waiting longer results in slower and more erratic movement.

Changing the vertical retrace in current source to be similar to 0.65 brings back the previous behavior:

Bitu vga_read_p3da(Bitu port,Bitu iolen) {
Bit8u retval=0;
double timeInFrame = PIC_FullIndex()-vga.draw.delay.framestart;

vga.internal.attrindex=false;
vga.tandy.pcjr_flipflop=false;

// 3DAh (R): Status Register
// bit 0 Horizontal or Vertical blanking
// 3 Vertical sync

- if (timeInFrame >= vga.draw.delay.vrstart &&
- timeInFrame <= vga.draw.delay.vrend)
- retval |= 8;
if (timeInFrame >= vga.draw.delay.vdend) {
- retval |= 1;
+ retval |= 9;
} else {
double timeInLine=fmod(timeInFrame,vga.draw.delay.htotal);
if (timeInLine >= vga.draw.delay.hblkstart &&
timeInLine <= vga.draw.delay.hblkend) {
retval |= 1;
}
}
return retval;
}

I tend to prefer the old behavior, but don't really know which is more accurate. Might be worth further investigation, though.