VOGONS

First post, by Veggieleezy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm fairly new to the whole emulator/Dosbox process, so I'll try and be as specific as possible with my problem.

I'm currently trying to play some games that I found at Goodwill (Carmen Sandiego's ThinkQuick Challenge, Pajama Sam 1, Tonka Garage, and Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, all original jewel case discs) on my computer (running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, HP Pavilion dv6 notebook).

I've installed Dosbox and I think I've mounted everything properly. My e-drive is my disc drive, I've got a folder set up for the games to go into on my c-drive. I did the following steps to try playing one of the games. I put the disc in, opened Dosbox, and typed the following commands:

z:\>mount d e:\ -t cdrom
z:\>mount c c:\oldgames
z:\>d:\
d:\>

From here I tried to type setup but I got the error message "This program requires Microsoft Windows." This happens with ThinkQuick Challenge every time, Pajama Sam has a similar result (Change "setup" to "autosam" with the error message saying "This program cannot be run in DOS mode"), Tonka Garage wouldn't even let me run setup, and Where in Time is a two-disc game, so I'm wary to try that just yet.

What do I need to do from here? Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something I need? If I need to download something, where do I put it? Bear in mind I'm still very much learning how to do this, so any help is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since that other thread has been terminated, I would like to add that Pajama Sam is one of the games supported by ScummVM.

However, please note that ScummVM is not a general-purpose program for running older games; there is a moderately-long but still highly specific list of games that it supports, and it runs nothing beyond that. Pajama Sam just happens to be in the list.

Reply 3 of 3, by Veggieleezy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, I've heard of ScummVM, but I haven't understood it. I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance.