VOGONS

Database app

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have discovered that a particular DOS database application runs flawlessly in DOSbox, better than the WinXP MS-DOS box. Is DOSbox interested in listing non-game applications that run in DOSbox?

Reply 3 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The thread title is "DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION"

I don't know how it could be more related to DOSBox without mentioning DOSBox a few more times. DOSBox.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 12, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

The thread title is "DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION"

I don't know how it could be more related to DOSBox without mentioning DOSBox a few more times. DOSBox.

Read it again: the _POSTER_ is no relation to DOSBox, not his REPLY is no relation to DOSBox. He posted a reply without knowing zip about anything. The poster was about as clueless as some random trailer trash person. I was hoping to see something more useful from somebody who knows something.

Reply 5 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please check your attitude. wd is a developer of dosbox so has some relations to dosbox and thus knows what he is writing about.
Collector has been a helpful person on this board for years who makes installers for sierra games so that they work flawlessly in dosbox. So he knows the ins and outs of dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 12, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh he knows something, as some of us do as well: DosBox's not suited for applications, it is intended for gaming.
If you want it DosBox related, here's some more DosBox mentions:
DosBox*3
(This post must be DosBox related, since it's mentioned 7 times 😀)

Reply 7 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Please check your attitude.

Game

Dominus wrote:

wd is a developer of dosbox

Set

Dominus wrote:

Collector has been a helpful person on this board for years who makes installers for sierra games so that they work flawlessly in dosbox. So he knows the ins and outs of dosbox.

Match

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoserjoe wrote:

Read it again: the _POSTER_ is no relation to DOSBox, not his REPLY is no relation to DOSBox. He posted a reply without knowing zip about anything. The poster was about as clueless as some random trailer trash person.

Y'know, even if you have no idea who wd might be, someone with a sticked thread and over ten thousand posts on a given message board just might have some idea about what he's talking about. [Even random trolls don't typically have that kind of dedication.]

Reply 10 of 12, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

someone with a sticked thread and over ten thousand posts on a given message board just might have some idea about what he's talking about.

Someone with that kind of history should know better than to post such an ill-mannered, even snotty, response to an honest question. There is no excuse for treating a question like that. When questioned about his rude answer, he should at least have the good grace to have a second look rather than just getting increasingly snotty. I'm not impressed by the attitude, and urge the OP to check his attitude.

BTW, I'm still looking for a decent answer to a perfectly worthwhile question.

Reply 11 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a decent answer

DOSBox is for games

it's not for dBase
that's what the virtual machine market is for
so use something else. Obviously better solutions exist that are less prone to blow up on IT shit such as Virtual PC, VMWare, VirtualBox, bochs, qemu.... which by the way aren't good at all for dos games
you're also not entitled support on stuff that's not games, it is a hobbyist project, and crap like database management is beyond their intended scope....which is games

how hard is that to not understand?

also insulting a developer doesn't help matters

apsosig.png
long live PCem