VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again.

Today I'm stumped on Mag-Racer.

The game appears to be windows only from the root directory, however changing to the MR directory reveals dos files. Running install installs the game and creates a batch file to launch it. However this is where the first sign of the game acting strange appears. The bat file won't work as it expects to find the game installed to .\MR\, whereas the installer instead places it in .\MAGRACER\.

Anyways, easy enough. I manually change to the directory, run setsound and launch the game.

The game will show an ASCII splash screen and then return the message:
"Error initializing the sound system"

Choosing No Sound from soundset and launching the game returns:
MODULE module not within the current data file directory

I have attempted both the 0.745 and svn builds. I have also attenpted defining the SET BLASTER variable and placing the needed files for that.

I also attempted enabling GUS and selecting that.

I have also used a standard dosbox.conf to make sure my settings haven't affected this.

Assistance is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Initializing the SB seems a bit iffy with this game, but it does work sometimes; might be sensitive to cycles. However, GUS has worked every time for me.

I delete both .CFG files so it has no previous settings that might cause problems, run SOUNDSET.EXE to choose sound settings, then run MAG.EXE to start the game.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The system appears to be stable when the game exits with an error, so there is no "crash" per se. Anyway, I don't get the error you mentioned if MAGRACER.CFG is deleted when the sound config is changed, which is why I mentioned deleting both .CFG files.

Reply 4 of 4, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You were correct. Based on the fact the game copies batch files that incorrectly point to nonexistent folders it seems the magracer.cfg file that is copied over also contains some information that is incorrect and does not get updated by the install. Thanks for your help.