VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently installed Star Crusader and the install process and game all seems to run fine. However when I attempt to use the flight simulator or start a mission the game crashes out saying:
Error reading header records from library speech.pak

I confirmed that the speech.pak file exists and is copied over during installation.

Using the debug version of dosbox I found it strange that it continually scrolls:
MISC:unsupported gate 2 mode 4 when selecting the options to launch.

However the debug version never seems to let me scroll back up (says to use the home & end keys). I tried dumping the results to a log file, but that slows things down so much that the game never launches.

I'm using 0.74 and my conf file is using the standard settings except for cycles which I have set to 9000.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The logfile parameter in the configuration file if you use the debug version, saves the output (and is fast)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Theguide to the debug version does not explicitly state how to use the logfile command.

So far I have just been running 'log' plus a certain number of cycles in the debugger.

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tried the floppy version with separately installed speech pak, and the cdrom version, both are working fine here in DOSBox 0.74 with default settings except cycles=8000. For the cdrom installation I chose to install all optional files to HD, and for both versions I configured the game for SBPro sound and music. The SPEECH.PAK file is identical between versions, and is 4,738,512 bytes in size with a CRC32 of EE361981.

Reply 5 of 7, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix:
That doesn't mean anything to me.

There is no documentation that I can find that tells me where these "parameters" are, or anything about setting them.

Best I can figure, it has to be changed in the a config file before compiling, which doesn't do me much good since I didn't compile this debug version.

ripsaw8080:
were you actually able to launch a mission and fly around?

For example, if you go to the flight simulator, choose your ship, choose the enemy ship, and then hit "begin", that is when it crashes for me.

I also installed all optional files and chose sbpro for music and speech.

My blaster is set to the defaults:
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For debug builds there is a [log] section in the conf with a logfile= setting. Change that to logfile=c:\dosbox\logfile.txt, or whatever path and filename you choose.

Yes, I am able to start missions and simulations without a problem. The flight portion of the game seems to work fine. I read your first post regarding where it is crashing, so of course I tried those things. Did you check your SPEECH.PAK file against the size and CRC32 in my previous post?