VOGONS

1984 King's Quest for Tandy booter working well! 1 question...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by gourdo_1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the 1984 360k 5.25" Tandy release of King's Quest, a slightly modified version of the original IBM PCjr release from 1983 with Tandy graphics and 3-voice sound. I played this exact version as a kid in 1984.

Anyway, it is an auto-booter and the disk is not otherwise readable from DOS or Windows. I got an image of the disk, and successfully booted it with DOSBox in Tandy mode with sound @ 44100. Sound is spot on and graphics and performance are great. Only problem: Text mode doesn't work. When you type "show status" or hit the TAB key, it brings up your inventory, which switches it into some type of high resolution text mode... In DOSBox, this mode shows up as a black screen. The mode works fine in the Tand-em emulator (which is a complete Tandy 1000 emulator -- though it is a nightmare to use and its sound support is poor).

I've tried DOSBox version 0.63 ( which leaves some garbled grid pattern after text mode exits) and a new build from the CVS tree (07-30-05), which correctly cleans up the exit garble, but still displays text mode as a blank screen.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem does not exist in the other Sierra's AGI booters of the period, King's Quest II and The Black Cauldron. (I am sure there are other booters like King's Quest III and Space Quest I, but they have never been dumped in boot disk form.) Unlike King's Quest, they do not use a high resolution graphics mode for the inventory screen.

Also, I notice that the joystick is not properly calibrated at the start of King's Quest (Tandy booter only.) King Graham walks down-right at the start and is a bit tricky to stop.

Reply 2 of 3, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(I am sure there are other booters like King's Quest III and Space Quest I, but they have never been dumped in boot disk form)

KQ3 and SQ1 were always DOS games. I think Donald Duck's Playground was the last Sierra booter.

Unlike King's Quest, they do not use a high resolution graphics mode for the inventory screen.

It uses 40-column text mode with gray characters on a blue background and sets it directly with the CGA registers. KQ2 and everything after that has black on white text and uses the BIOS (but on EGA/VGA, the inventory screen blinks because it enables the intensity bit in 3D8h and that only works on CGA/Tandy)

Reply 3 of 3, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... A moderator says: please don't resurrect 7 year old threads, no matter how pertinent your information, just start a new thread instead - thanks. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto