VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I've been trying to get LSL6 talkie working in 16 bit colour but the vest I can get is 8bit. Is there anyway to get the VESA detecting 16bit and the game actually working.

I've tried the diamond2 VESA driver that comes with the CD and I have dosbox configured for the TSENG4000. The VLIST says the driver is ok and lists 1024x768 16 BIT support but when I load the game no graphics are displayed.

It works fine in 8bit. I was curious to see if the graphics were any cleaner/better in 16bit?

Thanks,
Rob

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In official releases of DOSBox the S3 machine types are only ones that have enough video memory (2MB) to support 1024x768 with 16bpp. ET4000 has 1 MB, ET3000 and Paradise have 512 Kb. Some unofficial builds of DOSBox allow more video memory.

If the game supports 1024x768 with 16bpp, but it isn't working with the machine=svga_s3 setting, perhaps loading a univbe (SciTech Display Doctor 5.3a) driver will help.

Reply 3 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was not aware that that game supported 16-bit color, only 640x480 @ 8-bit.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, only 8. If you run an SCI Windows version with the desktop set to a higher color depth, the game will complain that you should lower it to 256 colors. If you ignore the warning, the images will not be rendered properly, often with a black screen that may have swaths repainted as a sprite sweeps across the screen.

What the Windows version of LSL6 talkie supports is 640x480 resolution (vs 320x240 for the earlier non talkie), but you can also get the increased resolution n the DOS version if you select the VESA driver.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

What the Windows version of LSL6 talkie supports is 640x480 resolution (vs 320x240 for the earlier non talkie), but you can also get the increased resolution n the DOS version if you select the VESA driver.

I think you actually need to use the installer in the "hires" folder on the CD rather than the standard installer to get the 640x480 graphics in DOS (as opposed to selecting a driver in config somewhere).

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the INSTALL.BAT in the base of the CD detects if VESA is supported and will copy the appropriate resources. The INSTALL.EXE in the HIRES folder just changes the hardware configuration. My installer will copy the higher graphics to the installed folder along with the audio resources and configure the game for CD-less play.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSier … ers.html#LSL6CD

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your replies. I just tried the HIRES install under windows and the graphics are the same as I'm getting via dosbox on my MAC. I'll play the mac version as I have my Roland Sound Canvas all working under OSX and dosbox.
Cheers,
Rob