VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I turn the soundblaster off in the conf file, Lomax Boulders loads fine. However I have tried sbpro, sb16, and sbpro2 - all of which cause the game to lock on start-up.

Interestingly, there is a soundset utility that detects the card just fine and then proceeds to play sound effects. There is also an option to choose your own settings instead of using the init settings. However upon launching the game, it seems to ignore this and simply try to re-init the card, at which point it locks up dosbox and I have to force close the whole process.

Out of curiosity I tried the SVN build and the program wouldn't even launch there, it simply gives runtime error 002 at 06c0:09d0

The game is shareware and can be found quite easily on the web.

Reply 2 of 12, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yea, but I'm not getting that error in regular dosbox or debug dosbox, just the svn.

In debug it just hangs at the sound card init. And as mentioned, the game runs fine if I disable sound. If it was as simple as a file not being found, I don't expect it would be locking up dosbox and causing a force close.

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it might get further in the SVN (e.g original problem of locking up being fixed)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 12, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it doesn't. It doesn't show anything, it just immediately returns a runtime error.

Launching with regular dosbox brings up a prompt that asks what language I want, before it tries to find the sound card where it locks up. SVN version never even asks what language I want, so it is definitely not getting farther - it isn't even starting.

Reply 5 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is an error exit in 0.74 resulting from DMA wrapping; but the game seems to work fine in 0.73 and SVN with default settings. It wasn't necessary to run the SOUNDSET program, the game detects and uses the SB16. The sound pops caused by DMA wrapping are eliminated with the ems=emm386 setting in SVN. I got the game here, in case it's a different version.

Reply 6 of 12, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may be totally off the point, still the game runs perfectly(? , the sound works) in Win 3.1 installed as per the instructions in this site. Ofcourse the game fails to load in DOS and crashes.

Reply 7 of 12, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SVN r3820 build ships libpng13.dll. On running any game DOS box closes alerting that libpng12.dll is missing. Hence I renamed the former file as libpng12. Wonder if that was the right thing to do.

Coming to the game, there always seems to be a noise in the audio. My settings are
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=10
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100
Any clue on this?

Reply 9 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
aeronix wrote:

I am running the svn 3820 @ 3000 cycles. But the audio is disturbed and noisy. How to set right?

ripsaw8080 wrote:

The sound pops caused by DMA wrapping are eliminated with the ems=emm386 setting in SVN.

Reply 11 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not sure what you're expecting, but it's not bad for 11kHz 8-bit mono PCM. Maybe a little crackle here and there, but that's due to the quality of the samples and/or how the game fills the SB DMA buffer.

One thing you can try is lowering the "out volume" on the game's menu, because some of the samples are not well normalized and tend to clip. I set it to 11, which gets rid of most clipping, and then increase my PC's output level if it seems necessary to make the sound louder.

Reply 12 of 12, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

One thing you can try is lowering the "out volume" on the game's menu, because some of the samples are not well normalized and tend to clip. I set it to 11, which gets rid of most clipping, and then increase my PC's output level if it seems necessary to make the sound louder.

The quality of sound was slightly improved.Coming to it there seems to be 3 audio tracks ,a high frequency bleep , sound of bolts which is the mainstay , and some decent audio midi as the game progresses. As such the game seems to be a neat one , wonder if the original ( I haven't played) had the same inconsistencies. Without annoying you...could you suggest any other parameter/combo which I could trial? When the same game is loaded thru win3.1 the audio is clear but only the bleep is heard. Thanks..