VOGONS

First post, by ironnails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am playing Imperium Galactica on D-Fend Reloaded (i LOVE that program 😀) and now that i'm a Commander i need to go over to disc 2 but have NO idea how to switch out discs. Currently have both disks saved as IMP1.img and IMP2.img

ANY help would be very appreciated. oh, and IG is finally freeware! its past the 10year copyright protection 😀. if anyone wants to play this game let me know and i'll give you the site that can download the CD images.

Reply 1 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no such thing as 10year copyright protection
its life +70 years in the u.s
So it will be 2067 at the very earliest

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 16, by ironnails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

where did you get a 70yr copyright protection law? per the courts the copyright protection is only 10-20yrs unless you renew it with adding something. IE a new molecule within a drug or a new expansion on a game that still uses the old one (diablo expansion pack).

Disney was able to protect THEIR copyright only by paying off the courts with extensive money to show they are still upgrading their product at all times.

anyways, does anyone know how to make a IMG file into a CUE/BIN or a ISO file then? that will be all i need.

Reply 3 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries ... ht_lengths

you need to copy the link and paste it into your browser the board doesnt handle links with ' in them very well
If you just click the link you end up at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'

or type
copyright length
into google and click on the first entry

where did you get your info about copyright only lasting 10years especially the stuff except for disney who get 70years because they bribed the court ?

Reply 4 of 16, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ironnails wrote:

Imperium Galactica how do you change out CDs in D-Fend?

You mount both discs and swap them with Ctrl+F4.

Reply 5 of 16, by ironnails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

problem with mounting both discs is that i have the file as IMG not ISO or CUE/BIN 🙁. any ideas HOW to make a IMG file into the other 2?

file name is IMP1.IMG and IMP2.IMG

Basically its a image of the CD not the iso or cue and bin type of file

Reply 6 of 16, by ironnails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries ... ht_lengths

you need to copy the link and paste it into your browser the board doesnt handle links with ' in them very well
If you just click the link you end up at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'

or type
copyright length
into google and click on the first entry

where did you get your info about copyright only lasting 10years especially the stuff except for disney who get 70years because they bribed the court ?

Just so that you know, medicine can ONLY be around 20yrs from inception of drug to FDA to when its being dispensed into the public. Otherwise how'd we get so many claritan OTCs that are NOT claritan but just contain the main ingredient.

Now IF what you say is TRUE about 70yr copyrights for at least GAMES then WHY are all 1980 games freeware? and yes Disney reNEWED its copyright by paying that extremely hefty fine/court dues. If you want to say that's bribing the court that is your own opinion. oh and in never DID use the word "bribe". re-looked at what i stated, and nope not one word was "bribe" 😀.

Reply 8 of 16, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ironnails wrote:

problem with mounting both discs is that i have the file as IMG not ISO or CUE/BIN 🙁. any ideas HOW to make a IMG file into the other 2?

Why not just image the discs again as an ISO this time?

Reply 9 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All 1980 games are not freeware
ps: disney paying court dues/fines??
disney were not on trial there was no court case congress debated the law had a vote and passed it. disney's only involvement was they lobbied for it to be passed.

Reply 10 of 16, by ironnails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i lost the stupid CDs and am seriously hoping i can find them again. The IMG file i got is from a peep i know over the net. asking him how to do this also but he's taking awhile to answer back. guess i could look up on the net the programs to do this but was hoping someone had a reliable and easy program they used on here.

Reply 11 of 16, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ironnails wrote:

i lost the stupid CDs and am seriously hoping i can find them again.

1) I expect you can mount the IMG files in a virtual drive such as DEAMON Tools and mount that in DOSBox.

2) You can use an imaging program to make an ISO of a disc in a virtual drive.

3) If neither work there should be something the list to convert between file types.

Reply 12 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ironnails wrote:

Just so that you know, medicine can ONLY be around 20yrs from inception of drug to FDA to when its being dispensed into the public. Otherwise how'd we get so many claritan OTCs that are NOT claritan but just contain the main ingredient.

Dude, medicines are patented. Patent protection lasts 20 years. Patents are completely different from copyrights.

Some software is patented – or more specifically, includes particular algorithms or programming techniques that are patented. As long as the patent is in effect, it prevents anyone else from using those algorithms and techniques, even in completely different software written from scratch. This has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the software can be copied.

then WHY are all 1980 games freeware?

They aren't, and nobody anywhere ever said they were.

re-looked at what i stated, and nope not one word was "bribe"

You did say "paying off", which is largely synonymous with "bribe". The confusion is understandable.

Anyway, .img is not a typical format for CD images. According to the DOSBox readme, they might be the same as .bin images, in which case you can try making a .cue file yourself. I found http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/881/how-do-i-o … out-a-cue-file/ on Google, which sounds about right; Mr. Skard might also have the right idea.

Are you able to mount either of the images at all with DOSBox currently?

Reply 13 of 16, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

There is no such thing as 10year copyright protection
its life +70 years in the u.s
So it will be 2067 at the very earliest

Sorry, Are you trolling?

By the way, mounting each .img with a program such as VCD or Daemon and making two isos out of them, as he says, should work fine

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 14 of 16, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He's not trolling, copyrights in the US are actually 70 years long. But how that term applies depends on when the work was created and published. Cornell has more info. In short, anything created after 1977 is copyrighted until 70 years after the death of the author. How much this matters to you is a personal decision.

But to stay on topic, if those CDs were just data CDs (e.g. no CD audio tracks), there's a good chance that they are just plain isos with an IMG extension. Try changing the extension to ISO and see if you can handle them with the regular tools.

Reply 15 of 16, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:

He's not trolling, copyrights in the US are actually 70 years long. But how that term applies depends on when the work was created and published. Cornell has more info. In short, anything created after 1977 is copyrighted until 70 years after the death of the author. How much this matters to you is a personal decision.

But to stay on topic, if those CDs were just data CDs (e.g. no CD audio tracks), there's a good chance that they are just plain isos with an IMG extension. Try changing the extension to ISO and see if you can handle them with the regular tools.

And who of all of you actually care about it? It is the guy's problem how he got the game, not yours. He is just asking for help, and I don't believe all the software you have used during your lives was actually "100% legit". By the way, don't think that by buying an used game you are helping a developer.

Okay, sorry if I sounded rude but that's just my point of view regarding his Reply. Enough offtopic 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 16 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread is derrailed and in the wrong section.

[Thread Locked]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)