VOGONS

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Motherboard: MEDIONPC MS-7728 (CPU 1)
2. Processor type and speed: Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz - Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
3. Amount and type of RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type: SyncMaster (1600x900@60Hz) 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7450 (Elitegroup)
5. Sound board: AMD High Definition Audio Device
6. Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 (English)
7. Game name: Full Throttle, by: Electronic Arts
8. Description of problem: Cannot save any games. A message suggesting that the disk might be full is briefly displayed. Except for this, the game runs perfectly fine.
9. Reproducibility of problem: Always.
10. Sound mode used: ???
11. Video mode: Overlay - resolution: 1600x900
12. Version of emulator: DOSBox v0.74
13. Steps already attempted to solve the problem: Run DOSBox as an administrator using various Windows compatibility modes. And yes, I have read the "read me."

I have attached my DOSBox configuration file to this post.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.74.conf
    File size
    10.8 KiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2013-12-22, 21:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 1 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Instinct tells me it could be trying to save to the CD, or CD image. How did you install the game (mount commands included)? and what media are you trying to run it from?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 11, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game files are in a directory on a harddisk. I am not using a cd or image. The following mount commands in the configuration file's "autoexec" section are used:

MOUNT C: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dos"
MOUNT D: "D:\"

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are you 100% sure that you have full write access to the program files folder ?
The virtual Store might be kicking in and that has some design flaws with regards to DOS applications. (some extension won't be virtualized)

So I advice you to use a different location for your C drive.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 11, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I am not 100% sure about the access rights for my Program Files folders, but I have not had any problems with any programs using it inside DOSBox. I should have mentioned that I run Full Throttle from a folder on my D: drive.

Any way, I changed the mountings so that only the D: drive was used, but that didn't fix the problem.

BTW:
The save feature does work in ScummVM 1.6.0, but then the speech doesn't work. SFX and music work fine, but there is no speech. 😠

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The save feature does work in ScummVM 1.6.0, but then the speech doesn't work. SFX and music work fine, but there is no speech. 😠

I have completed this game in ScummVM without any technical difficulties, as have thousands of other people.

Did you download this game from somewhere? If you are not using an original CD or an image, then maybe you should.

Reply 6 of 11, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I have completed this game in ScummVM without any technical difficulties, as have thousands of other people.

Did you download this game from somewhere? If you are not using an original CD or an image, then maybe you should.

This thread is about an issue with DOSBox, I only mentioned ScummVM to indicate that saving games did work there, but that I then had the issue of having to play with no voices. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the game used to work fine under Windows XP Professional 32 bit. Until now I used to be one of those thousands of peope. I suspect that something is wrong with my Windows installation or maybe a compatibility issue with Windows 7 64 bit.

BTW:
I have occasionally noticed that DOSBox becomes very unresponsive after having been minimized for a few minutes since I run it under Windows 7.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was not uncommon back then for a game to disallow saving if it failed a copy protection check. Thus, both the lack of voices in ScummVM and the inability to save in DOSBox would be consistent with an incomplete or otherwise corrupted copy of the game.

Thus, I suggest you try using an original CD or an image thereof.

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Swinkels wrote:

This thread is about an issue with DOSBox, I only mentioned ScummVM to indicate that saving games did work there, but that I then had the issue of having to play with no voices. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the game used to work fine under Windows XP Professional 32 bit. Until now I used to be one of those thousands of peope. I suspect that something is wrong with my Windows installation or maybe a compatibility issue with Windows 7 64 bit..

ScummVM places all of its save games in the user folder where there are no write restrictions. Since VISTA, the %ProgramFiles% folders are protected. A game in DOSBox does not see outside of its mounted folders, so if you have the game inside the %ProgramFiles%, it may not be able to write files. Depending in the extension, any attempts to write to it may be redirected the the Virtual Store inside the User folder. Some file types are disallowed. This is why Leisure Suit Larry 5 will not even in the %ProgramFiles% on Vista and higher. It is also why GOG has finally moved its folder outside of the %ProgramFiles%.

Try what Qbix suggested of moving it out of the %ProgramFiles%, to, say, C:\DOS\

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 11, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
Peter Swinkels wrote:

This thread is about an issue with DOSBox, I only mentioned ScummVM to indicate that saving games did work there, but that I then had the issue of having to play with no voices. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the game used to work fine under Windows XP Professional 32 bit. Until now I used to be one of those thousands of peope. I suspect that something is wrong with my Windows installation or maybe a compatibility issue with Windows 7 64 bit..

ScummVM places all of its save games in the user folder where there are no write restrictions. Since VISTA, the %ProgramFiles% folders are protected. A game in DOSBox does not see outside of its mounted folders, so if you have the game inside the %ProgramFiles%, it may not be able to write files. Depending in the extension, any attempts to write to it may be redirected the the Virtual Store inside the User folder. Some file types are disallowed. This is why Leisure Suit Larry 5 will not even in the %ProgramFiles% on Vista and higher. It is also why GOG has finally moved its folder outside of the %ProgramFiles%.

Try what Qbix suggested of moving it out of the %ProgramFiles%, to, say, C:\DOS\

Okay, somehow I am apparently not being clear: I never ran the game from a folder inside the Program Files directory. I experimented with different mountings and folders to be sure that what QBix suggested wasn't the issue. Here is a post I made earlier in this thread:

No, I am not 100% sure about the access rights for my Program Files folders, but I have not had any problems with any programs u […]
Show full quote

No, I am not 100% sure about the access rights for my Program Files folders, but I have not had any problems with any programs using it inside DOSBox. I should have mentioned that I run Full Throttle from a folder on my D: drive.

Any way, I changed the mountings so that only the D: drive was used, but that didn't fix the problem.

BTW:
The save feature does work in ScummVM 1.6.0, but then the speech doesn't work. SFX and music work fine, but there is no speech.

Thanks for trying to help any way.

Has any one else here played Full Throttle under Windows 7 64 bit without problems?

Reply 10 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Full Throttle may want to save to C: (which you have mounted in your program files). If you only mounted D: that doesn't fix it. Some games assume that C is the hard drive and D the CD drive.
Please follow the 60 seconds guide and install the game fresh as per the guide.
Except for read/write permissions it dpesn't matter whether you run any game through dosbox in Windows XP, Vista,7,8 32 or 64bit. If it ran on one of those it will run in the other as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 11, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, somehow (not sure how exactly) I finally fixed the problem. My guess is that some game files somehow got corrupted.

Thanks for all the advice.