VOGONS

First post, by oligan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried to start my old mm- games(non cd versions) but have several problems under linux.
my config: 637kb conventional and 15296kb expanded/dosbox 0.61
10000CPU cycles/athlon 1800

MM5 works fine with 0.61

MM4 works also fine on start but freezes after the intro (hands on the card stands still)
could there be a memory prob?what are the requirements?

MM3 dont start just gives following error:

benutze expanded memory...C:/IFACDMM3.CFG nicht geöffnet

but my mm3-dir is C:/mm3 and there is no such file also under c:/

the install works without probs

Can somebody help? Maybe there are some special configurations?

Reply 2 of 6, by oligan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks !

I solved the problem. Its a prob of my german version. I tested the millenium-edition and that one works fine.

After building the world of xeen also the german one works under linux.

but mm3 (german) wont work- so i must play the english one - if anybody outside have a german version working- please contact me.

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

MM 4 German - yes, it crashes as described. Strange ...

MM 3 German - Here is the solution simple. Just copy "mm3.cfg" to "ifacdmm3.cfg" in C:\ (on DOSBOX mounted disk C: ). It is actually done by SETUP.BAT file in the installation:

echo off
install.exe
copy mm3.cfg C:\ifacdmm3.cfg
echo.
echo.
echo. Bitte MM3.EXE zum starten eingeben!
echo. Viel Spaá!

I have no idea what the hell this should be. The programmers who made the translated German version probably wanted to be original, otherwise I cannot explain it. :-)

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just a bit more about that not-working MM 4 German. It is not freeze, the game correctly ends (just press a key to get to shell). It loads and starts XEEN.DAT (main program file), the program immediately ends (correctly, using int 21/4c). It does not like something in DOSBOX (no idea what).

As I said above, the prgrammers of German version were strange people ... I would expect just translation, but they seemed to interfere even with the code.

Mirek

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have just found a workaround for German version of MM4. Just start XEEN.DAT (the game itself, without intro). Of course you must rename XEEN.DAT to EXE (I used X.EXE, because there is already XEEN.EXE). Then start it. It seems to work without any problems.

Mirek